April 27, 2024, 02:01:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Voltage Regulator

Started by Fat Mike, February 07, 2009, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Mike

Hey Guys - I'm having trouble with the charging system on my '69 FLH.  After following the checks in the manual, I need to replace the voltage regulator which looks really close to the Delco regulator from my old Chevy.  Can I go down to the auto parts store and buy a Delco unit and expect it to work? 

Thanks. 

crankcase1943

If was me I would order a VR from J& P or someone like that. The chevy VR might be set to high on amps and burn out your generator. Just a thought.

dave_9113

You should really look at a Cylce Electric generator with built in regulator.  They are worth it.

dave

Old Crow

Not sure about the big twin, but I ran Chevy regulators from Auto Zone on a couple of Ironhead Sportys for years without any problems.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

hillbillybiker

yes you can go to a parts store and get your regulator it won`t be a chevy regulator it will be for your harley. delco made harley regulators.i used to get mine at napa.but they go for around 60.00.i went electronic no more problems

Fat Mike

Thanks for the help guys! 
I owe you each a cold bottle of your favorite. 

MMOCGuy

When you replace the mechanical regulator, don't forget to polarize it to the generator.

Norm.

Fat Mike

Thanks for the reminder Norm. 

When you polarize the regulator, what is actually being done?  I know you get a small spark when you touch a wire between the battery and field terminals.  I have always pictured this sets the proper flow of electricity but have never actually heard / read what happens. 

MMOCGuy

I'm not completely sure myself what is happening electrically. All I know is that it puts the regulator in synch with the generator pulses (Yeah, it does give off pulses even though it is DC current). Without polarizing it, the regulator won't work properly. Maybe one of the electricians on board will know the answer.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

4DWUDS

You polarize the generator, Do this by touching a jumper wire between the "A" terminal on the generator and + side of the battery with the switch off. The regulator from auto zone is a Wells # VR605.  It is not the Harley original but has the 3 needed terminals(bat,A,F) , is 12 volt, and is CHEAP at $21. If your on a budget and can hide this 5" X 3" X 3" monster, it is the way to go. It can be trimmed down to fit in a horseshoe tank.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

ds-919

Quote from: Fat Mike on February 07, 2009, 02:57:14 PM
Hey Guys - I'm having trouble with the charging system on my '69 FLH.  After following the checks in the manual, I need to replace the voltage regulator which looks really close to the Delco regulator from my old Chevy.  Can I go down to the auto parts store and buy a Delco unit and expect it to work? 

Thanks. 

Yes, back in the day when money was less then "no object" we used to do it all the time.   I agree the old 60' Chevy six cylinder regulators rings a bell.   You can adjust the output by bending the contact "tangs" or on some models so equipt, with the adjustment screws which is simple enough.   Ask any older H-D/auto mech how if you need to.   A decent auto parts owner/counter person should be able to get you something close electrically speaking if you show him yours and any specs on it.   Naturally you'll have to adjust the mounting.

DS.