May 17, 2024, 04:37:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Finally starting the project!

Started by Little Al, February 07, 2009, 05:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

Well today I officially started putting my '54 FL together, gonna be a long, fun, expensive project. Except for the expensive, damn I've been waiting a long time for this joy.

Got the frame welded today. had to have a tool box mount welded on and they fixed the front motor mount. It was already glass beaded so I'm pretty much ready to paint it. problem is it's still way cold here and I have no garage, just a shed. I'm doing the rebuild in my kitchen. Too cold to paint out in the shed and have no heated place to paint. The OL had a good idea, I bought a cheap pop-up tent today (8'X8'X5' high), gonna use it as a paint booth in my spare bedroom (AKA the parts room) I have hot water radiator heat in there, one door, one window. I can keep the compressor in the kitchen so no risk of ignition, run air hose under the door.   

whadda think?
Little Al

moose

al
make sure you have a good exhaust fan in there to get all the fumes out.

moose
Moose aka Glenn-

moose

hey did you get up to the swap meet in syracuse this weekend

Moose aka Glenn-

Snuff™

Al,
I think if i only had a bedroom to paint in, I would line it with visqueen and put a slow moving fan in the window facing outside.  This would give you room to stand up, have room for lighting, and be able to paint each part at the same time.  Other wise I think the VOC in the tent could become dangerous.

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Little Al

Glenn, nope, never got there, busy working on the Pan, lol

I think I'd worry about an exhaust fan igniting the fumes. On second thoughts about it, I doubt I'll use it for anything big, but will for small stuff that. I gotta figure out something on painting the frame, it's my next step.
Little Al

04customking

I ended up going to Syracuse after all. Every year I say I won't go again and there I am the next year. Well, I'm saying it again this year. $15. to get in  :angry: $4.50 for a "cup" of beer amd you can't hardly get through the crowd to find anything. I haven't found a good way to look through big containers of crap while trying not to get stepped on or have beer spilled down my back. I didn't come home with anything except the same sentiment as always, never again. Jim
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

Erichill

Little Al
If you are planning to use a urethane paint, you two are going to be smelling fumes forever!  I wouldtry to find some other solution to your problem. For your safety and future health, I'ld pay a shop to paint, or find a friend with a garage.
Just my opion of course, but I've been there and done that, and have regretted it. Good luck with the painting and show us photos when done.
Eric

moose

if you do good painting i'll bring my stuff over for you to paint also

Moose aka Glenn-

Little Al

Glenn, only if you're looking for the rat look, lol

I was a cabinet maker for 22 years, sprayed lacquers, shellacs, enamels, etc. on wood furniture, cabinets, etc. But I can't spray a piece of metal to save my life. Something like a frame is easy, but I'd never, ever again attempt to shoot something that really shows, lol
Little Al

JamLazyAss

"I didn't come home with anything except the same sentiment as always, never again."

Jim,
Who are ya kidding, see ya next year !   :hyst:

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

04customking

Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom