May 05, 2024, 02:10:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Engine paint

Started by tinkerman, February 08, 2009, 07:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

What do all you folks use for engine paint (cases, cylinders, heads) during a rebuild. Most of the wrinkle paint is peeling of my heads and the cylinders and cases could use a freshing up as well.

All I ever used on my old brit iron was some high heat flat black. That's likely what I will use on the Heritage as well unless someone has some experience with something better. I purchased a spray bomb of wrinkle black sometime back but don't really like using it all that much. It's a three step process and if you don't catch the previous coat at just the right stage it doesn't work all that well.

Suggestions appreciated,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

gryphon

Yeah, the wrinkle black takes a little more work but it's the only thing I've found that will stand up to pretty much anything I do to it. After the wrinkle has had a couple of days to setup I will dust a coat of flat black on top of it. Makes it easier to renew in the future without having to redo the 3 step process again (and  having to stip the part first). If the part gets chipped up (takes a while to do that to the wrinkle) I clean it and dust on another coat of flat black.

baldoldfxr

I use PJ1 satin high temp on my barrels , seems to stick & last very well.

Hillside Motorcycle

After a while, and repeated pressure washings, only thing we have seen that holds up is powder coating.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Norton Commando

PJ1 engine paint works for me.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Been using HD Textured black out of a rattle can for some years, it was what the cases and barrels were originally painted in anyhow. I honestly haven`t found anything better.

It does need to be applied on a hot day with the engine nice and warm for best results, unless your engine is in bits, in which case, stick them in the oven [When the old lady is out] and bake them.

HD part no. 98606 BF
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Buddy WMC

February 09, 2009, 04:14:55 AM #6 Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:51:11 AM by Buddy WMC
FWIW,
I've used Duplicolor 1200 degree high heat (available at Walmart), for years with excellent results even on exhaust systems. It is a satin black, sprays very smoothly and leaves a nice finish if the part was prepped properly. It is also a ceramic type paint and works well on the inside of exhaust systems. It comes in a gold colored can, but you must read the label to make sure that you get the 1200 degree as they also make a 750.

tinkerman

As Usual,

Appreciate all the feedback. Looks like there are a few options out there. Wasn't to keen on using the high heat flat. It worked well for the old Brit bikes cause it duplicated pretty much the original color of the cylinders. But the HD finish, at least on my old Heritage was a little darker and of course had the wrinkle thing going on. I guess I'll just have to rustle up another can of the wrinkle black and take the extra time to do it right.

I wouldn't mind using the powder coating idea but it isn't somehing that is readily available out in the boonies where I live. I have thought a time or two about getting one of the smaller powder coat systems but have a very limited need for it so that idea is out.

Thanks for the input.

Tinkerman

Buddy WMC

Tink,

If you want a professional job, get a hold of Roger at Final Touch powdercoating (roger@finaltouchpowdercoating.com.) They also have a website www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com with a pricelist. They have done a couple of jobs for me with excellent quality flawless work at reasonable prices. Great communication and turnaround time as well. Roger has powder in stock to match all of the factory HD finishes.

You must degrease your parts and if you bead blast them yourself the price is less. If they need to be touched up a bit, Roger has done that for me at no additional charge. If you do not have access to a bead blaster, Roger will prep the parts for the cost of the additional labor time only.

We have a local guy here, but there is no comparison in the quality of the work. I'll spend the extra cash to have Roger do all my work in the future.

tinkerman

Thanks Buddy,

Had a look at that site. The site is well laid out and the work looks to be top notch. For now, for expediency's sake I will likely go with the wrinkle coat paint. I get back in my shop the first week of March and assuming all my parts are back from the machine shop I will get the rebuild done before I hit the road again.

With my sched any more delays and it would only take one screw up to start eating into riding time.

Appreciate the info though. You never know. With all the ideas tossed around on this site It might not be too long before the old evo is coming apart again for one thing or another.

Thanks,

Tink