May 05, 2024, 12:00:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cleaning Natural (silver) finish engine?

Started by baldeagle, February 08, 2009, 07:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldeagle

Whats the best thing to use to clean smudge marks on the primary and the staining on the cases under the carb.? s100 does not touch it.

thanks

Ed Y

If the bike is newer than the mid 90's, those pieces are powder coated "clear" over the aluminum. Anything that works on powder coated paint will work. Personally, I use ProtectAll.

aal

Ed Y; which particular product?  I noticed they have several.  Thanks.

Deye76

See my post on twin cam. Specialty Reducer works very well.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ed Y

Quote from: aal on February 08, 2009, 10:06:03 AM
Ed Y; which particular product?  I noticed they have several.  Thanks.

See this link. http://www.protectall.com/pawaxlg.htm

I've got a 99 FLHT with 130,000 miles and the clear coated covers still look great.

Fxstchewy

I have a bottle of Protect all but it is kinda thick, how do you apply it to the motor?
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Ed Y

Quote from: Fxstchewy on February 08, 2009, 06:08:49 PM
I have a bottle of Protect all but it is kinda thick, how do you apply it to the motor?

I assume you've got the pump bottle and yes, it is thick. I just squirt a small amount on the cloth/rag I'm using and go to work with it. Doesn't take much. If you've got the aerosol spray can, I use it the same way. Spraying directly on the surface puts out too much, at least in my experience.

metaliser

I have a 06 ElectraglideStandard that has the natural finish on parts of the engine and I didn't notice any clear coat on mine, anyways I put a chrome kit on mine when I bought it but I clean the smudges with carb cleanner from wallyworld.

Ed Y

Quote from: metaliser on February 09, 2009, 04:28:31 AM
I have a 06 ElectraglideStandard that has the natural finish on parts of the engine and I didn't notice any clear coat on mine, anyways I put a chrome kit on mine when I bought it but I clean the smudges with carb cleanner from wallyworld.

Nose cone cover, inner and outer primary, rocker box covers are all clear coated.