April 28, 2024, 01:56:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

solid lifters

Started by ampegloud, February 08, 2009, 09:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampegloud

1975 stock motor 3,000 miles on recent rebuild i had hyd took them out put in adapters was wondering do i need to change my cam some say no need to that's what the adapters are for ,also some say the solid lifters will wear out some valve train components , i took out the hyd cause could not fix the leak at the bottom of the front exhaust pushrod tube no matter what i changed the only thing i didn't change was the tappet blocks themselves,any ideas or comments will help ,i do like the way my shovel runs very strong throughout the powerband .....Steve

fulldress79

No need to worry. The cam pushes against a roller lifter,and doesn't know the diff. Car cams with flat tappets sometimes need to be changed when going to solids.

crazycanadian

will work great.. in HD college the teacher told us the recommended fix for noisy hydralics was take em apart.. clean and reassemble with green loctite eff making them solids.

I'm curious as to why that front tube won't seal.. that is def not right!  If the springs are worn out in your tubes and they don't have enough compression they will leak!!! IT should be a real damn hard squeeze getting those clips in .. if they go in like butter.. you should change that stuff. Put some PST pipe thread sealant around the bottom of the tube to.. let it set up.. that should fix any leaks.

ampegloud

i changed the pushrod tubes the springs ne corks still leaked at the bottom,i checked the lifter blocks for the darin holes to be sure they were not pluged,all of ,only the exhaust leaked not the intakes ,just got fed up and installed the solid adapters and closed off the oil hole from the block and installed a set screw per s& s instructions now no more oil leak,dosnt the hyd cam have  a diff duration lift ,compared to an andrews bh grind? i just dont want my valves to be hammered away cause ive got the hyd cam in?

crazycanadian

generally the hydralic cams have a smidge faster opening rate to make the lifter pump up.. you have a very mild cam so that really shouldn't be an issue... I am lost for who it was but i rem in the old books they used to list a lot of those cams hyd or solid.

Hillside Motorcycle

We use JIMS hydaulics in the shovels.
That way the client has no muss/fuss.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

76shuvlinoff

I run the Jims top end oiling on my 93" S&S mill. This mill supposedly came with a 560 cam but I have never verified that.  Better than 20,000 miles and no problems with the lifters.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway