May 01, 2024, 12:26:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1936-1957 rear brake drum

Started by grunt, December 29, 2012, 06:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grunt

I have been needing a new rear brake drum and sprocket on my rigid pan for some time now. Not being a original looking bike will those aftermarket drums and sprockets be fine? I understand OEM is the best but are these aftermarket ones junk? Someone here lead me to a good source? Thanks
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Harpo

Years ago (around '82 or so) I tried one for my '53.  It ran eccentric (off center) at about .050" of runout - way too much..........chain would be tight, then slack, etc., and also the problems with brake shoes seating correctly (not).  Can't vouch for any newer ones, since I havn't tried any since.  So, based on my stellar experience with TYPICAL aftermarket Asian produced JUNK, I'd say stick with OEM.  Good luck.

CraigArizona85248

I've seen both good and bad aftermarket brake drums. I've bought two from Paughco since 2003 and both have been very good.

-Craig

easyricer

Paughco is good stuff! Plus you have some recourse should there be some type of problem.... (USA made)
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

grunt

Ok ...I'll have to check out Paughco. Thanks guys...
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"