April 27, 2024, 02:11:46 PM

News:

kinda of freaked out

Started by akronfxwg, February 09, 2009, 06:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akronfxwg

finished re-wiring, changed outer primary cover, bolted everything up and hit the starter button.  At first nothing, like a bad connection.  Then all of the sudden starter engages and won't shut off.  smoke from the solenoid, smoke from the battery, sparks all over when unscrewing the ground.  End result, melted insulation on battery ground wire and battery to solenoid wire.  battery seems fine don't know about solenoid.  What went wrong?   How do I fix this?  Help!!

shov60

Don't give up you proably connect something wrong nows the time to take your wiring diagram out and start following every wire out from the begining as far as the starter lets hope you didn't burn it make sure you connect the starter wire to the right post sounds like there maybe a wrong connect there.  What year is your scooter?           shov60

akronfxwg

1980,  everything worked fine, it seemed like the solenoid woulnd't kick off.  I'm hoping I didn't fry the starter.

shov60

You say you changed out primary did you install the thrust washer ,also when you change primary there's  a problem sometimes new primarys   require 2 washers or they will over extend the starter shaft and the Bendix and starter will stay engaged this happen to me a couple of years ago.  Pull the primary and see if this happen. Try and using your old primary is another option to look at. After you recheck all your wiring and replace what melted.             shov60

Snuff™

Take your solenoid apart and check if the copper washer has welded itself to one of the terminals.  This happened to me along the road to Alzada, MT.
I won't describe to ya the stupid reason why it happened. :bf:

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Lew

Check your work.  Have a good look at the start relay wiring.  When ready to check again disconnect the starter motor cable from the solenoid or the starter then verify things are right before connecting it up for good.  Good luck...
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

vern

check the starting relay under the battery i'd bet money on that.

verson22

When you go to try it again have the battery set up for quick disconnectin'!!

Hillside Motorcycle

Usually when they lock up, and do not release, it is a sign of a weak battery.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Rumblefeesh

Fought this problem happening with mine a few years back - in my case it was a combination of things that had to be tweaked because I had to use a combination of starter components from different year models to get the right throw and mesh for my internal (BDL) belt drive.

When you take it apart look at the outside end of the starter shaft splines of the starter splines that drive the bendix. If they have been worn/sheared on the ends then either the bendix is extending too far and either coming past the splines, or, more likely, so that there is so little length of the splines engaged that they sheared and the bendix could not return.

Several things can cause this, too thin or no thrust washer between bendix and primary, missing thrust washer at starter end of shaft moving it inward, arrangment of linkage and spring from solenoid to bendix actuating lever, wrong bendix lever, or wrong bendix collar on shaft.

flhswingarm

And pleeeze disconnect the neg. cable before you go moving the starter drive around with your fingers.

3 finger Bill

Snuff™

QuoteAnd pleeeze disconnect the neg. cable before you go moving the starter drive around with your fingers.

3 finger Bill

Its a real shock when that bendix starts spinning and bouncing on top of the starting ring. I remember jumping up to my feet, verifing I still had 10 finger, and looking at the ignition switch on the dash in the off position and could'nt understand why the bendix is dancing on the starting ring. I stood back and kicked the bendex back in with my steel toe boot. After that incident, I now know why they print the first step is "Disconnect the battery."

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Simons_shovel

My '82 does this from time to time.  Normally an indication the battery is on the way out.  Cleaning up the terminals on the inside of the solenoid helps too.

shov60

I've been working my shovel for the past 2 mos and I upgraded my starter to an Ultima starter got rid of the starter gear and cover the Ultima is built
as a one pieace and all I have is good words for this setup besides being chrome already the reduction gear setup will spin my 90 stroker like a top
it starts faster and looks good too.   Alter battling my old starting systems for the past years I found a part that works just as good as it looks as
far as the price it a deal anywhere from 125. to 150. I usually don't write about parts but this impressed me .           shov 60