May 09, 2024, 02:09:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Long time...bad news

Started by HotRodShovel, January 07, 2013, 04:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodShovel

Running strong in 5th at 3000 rpm, not getting much out of 6th gear.  all of a sudden.white oil smoking like heavens clouds behind me.  Loosing power on highway. Got home in 1st gear. Black oil dripping from air cleaner and running out of front exhaust pipe. Needless to say, oil everywhere.

Will wash off tomorrow and start tear down. Thinking all top end. 

In the mean time any ideas?

96", 6 speed, dual plugged, external oil drain lines.

Nice to be home
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Rudy, where the hell you been bud?

Oil out of the air cleaner?  Is your case vent plumbed to your carb back plate. Maybe it sumped?

- Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Sounds like a hole in a piston.....

HotRodShovel

Mark, you don't want to know pal.....any how no its vented to the atmosphere with a K&N type filter.

Ohio...Well we'll find out in a day or so. Hole, ugly. If so,why.

Looks like maybe head gaskets failed, just guessing here, Rolled it into the garage and walked away. But oil every goddamn where. When I say runnin out the front pipe I mean pouring. Not seen that.
John

Ohio HD

If everything was previously OK, and there are no known issues, to get a hole in a piston while cruising at 3,000 RPM, most likely it would have to be related to timing. What kind of ignition you running? Mechanical advance weights? I've seen the mechanical weights stick at mid way point to full advance, saw a few bike blow holes in the piston while on the interstate cruising. One was a Shovel, the other an Iron head. Oil simply everywhere.

prodrag1320

HotRodShovel

Ohio, Dyna with advance weights

Kirby, i'll empty it out now.
John

prodrag1320

HotRodShovel

Will do Kirby...I was banking on 2013 being a better year.
John

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 07, 2013, 04:57:01 PM
If everything was previously OK, and there are no known issues, to get a hole in a piston while cruising at 3,000 RPM, most likely it would have to be related to timing. What kind of ignition you running? Mechanical advance weights? I've seen the mechanical weights stick at mid way point to full advance, saw a few bike blow holes in the piston while on the interstate cruising. One was a Shovel, the other an Iron head. Oil simply everywhere.

Sounds like a hole in dat piston from over here too......

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rudy on January 07, 2013, 05:04:26 PM
Ohio, Dyna with advance weights

Kirby, i'll empty it out now.

I hope it's not a piston, the iron head I spoke of, I was on it when it happened. I stopped, saw oil everywhere, some construction guys working nearby gave me a couple quarts of oil, I made it about 2 more miles and blew off oil lines...  was walking after that. Was about 27 years ago, there was about a dime sized hole in the front piston. Advance weights stuck midway.

v10ole

Yep agree hole been there done that, but have seen those vent filters plugged with road grime and send oil everywhere just replaced the top end gaskets on the EVO cause that dam filter so threw it out and left it open 6 years now no trouble...

HotRodShovel

thanks  much. I'll be sure to report back in a day or two.    Something is telling me head gaskets just from the leak pattern.  we shall see.
John

prodrag1320

with the ext. returns,it wouldnt be head gaskets.do a quick compression test (if you dont have a compression tester,just put your thumb over the plug hole)

War Horse

Might also be a wrist pin clip came loose.
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: War Horse on January 08, 2013, 04:32:35 AM
Might also be a wrist pin clip came loose.

He woulda/shoulda heard a noise.......
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HotRodShovel

Scott, No noise, just smoke.
Kirby, I'll do a comp check, easy enough. But I guess you are right with the external returns. Wishful thinking on my part.....but hey if I fixed last years explosion this one should be a walk in the park.   If you recall we went .40 over on the new jugs to salvage them from the ring fragment scoring... with matching pistons. If any scoring now,  I'm guessing new jugs and slugs and start from scratch.
John

Reddog74usa

Just pull the spark plug and shine a skinny flashlight in the hole you should see the hole if it's there. This sucks to hear. Good luck.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rudy on January 08, 2013, 06:47:52 AM
Scott, No noise, just smoke.
Kirby, I'll do a comp check, easy enough. But I guess you are right with the external returns. Wishful thinking on my part.....but hey if I fixed last years explosion this one should be a walk in the park.   If you recall we went .40 over on the new jugs to salvage them from the ring fragment scoring... with matching pistons. If any scoring now,  I'm guessing new jugs and slugs and start from scratch.

And if this is the damage, maybe reevaluate your ignition if that is determined to be the cause. Maybe look at the Daytona Twin Tech? http://www.daytona-twintec.com/model_1005.html

Also Rivera used to sell an all stainless steel advance unit, don't know if they still do. Most all others are cheap imported crap not worth using.

HotRodShovel

Thanks Ohio..I tried to get those Rivera weights some time ago. NG.  As you said same stuff. 

Reddog..good idea will do..
John

tomfiii

Could be oil pump return "wet sumping from".

HotRodShovel

Tomfiiii   explain more please. Funny you mention sumping. The ol SHovel sat for a month and from past experience I put a drain pan under the vent tube and let it puke out. Of course I topped it off but what exactly do you mean?
John

prodrag1320

oil seeps past the check ball in the pump & fills up the lower end.as engine runs,it evacuates the oil out the breather

HotRodShovel

as I figured....not my issue.  I'll get compression in a bit and let you know.
John

HotRodShovel

rear 135lbs,  front zip.....thats the pipe where all the oil was flowing from.  So it looks like I made it home on my rear cylinder.  Still some oil in the can. could be worse. Not seized up.

Back on the lift...top end coming off.....again
John