May 05, 2024, 07:52:36 AM

News:

Saddle bag hinge pins

Started by Justpassingas, February 09, 2009, 08:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justpassingas

Well I got my police bags back from the painter yesterday and he didn't peen over the new hinge pins for the lids that I gave him...He said he didn't have a tool and figured he would let me do it...I tried to squeeze the pins with a pair of vice grips to flair the one end with not much luck...pins must be made out of stainless steel or something....I'm sure Harley has a tool for it but I ain't buying one to use only once....Any suggestions on how the peen over that one end of the pin???   TIA
For Duty and Humanity

2003flht

I'm not sure you have to peen them.  I have removed mine and replaced them without peening, altough i did add a "little" red locktite onto one end of the hinge pin just to hold it in place....
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

still_havinfun

i put new pins in my tour pack lid years ago and took a concrete nail and cut it off close to the head and ground a shallow vee on the shaft and put it into the pin hole and put the nail head against the vice grips and it worked fine. just don't overdo it or it will bind the hinge. also try to keep everything lined up stait while clamping.

Justpassingas

LMAO@still_havin....

I was a thinking of using a steel punch but it would be too long to use with vise grips so what I'm thinking what else do I have instead....I got some concrete nails and was thinking the same thing....pretty hard stuff....cut the nail and grind the end to a point with a pair of vise grips but I like the "V" idea better....I'll give it try and add a dab of light-tight too....
For Duty and Humanity

Dakota

I'd want them left so they're easy to remove so when the spring breaks it's easier to replace it.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

98roadking

I used a nail punch. I had my wife hold a hammer on one end and put the punch in the open end and tapped until it flaired enough to stay in place.