May 05, 2024, 01:06:56 PM

News:

OT - GM Tech Help

Started by maineultraclassic, February 09, 2009, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineultraclassic

I'm looking for a little help from any GM techs that may be on here.

My mother has a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 40000 miles, and recently she has been hearing a noise from the rear end. So yesterday I took it out for a ride and I too did hear the noise. It's a very low and faint grinding or whirling noise from the back of the vehicle. My first thought was that the rear differential is low on fluid, but when I quickly looked under it for a fill plug, I couldn't see one. Only other thought I had was maybe a wheel bearing starting to go, but with only 40000 miles I wouldn't expect that yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

hdpegscraper

It may be a shot in the dark, But does it have 4wheel disc? On some GM, the rear rotors have shoes inside them for the parking brake, and some times they will drag and wear out before the pads on the outside of the rotor.

BMBITY

Steve

Hope this helps there is a vin break point on this. If your vin is not involved check the rear hub bearings any lateral impact (ie slinding in to a median or curb) will damage the bearing also check the tires for wear you might want to try and rotate the tires see if the noise moves up front then. good luck. Also the drain plug is in the front of the diff right below where the driveshaft bolts to the flange and the fill plug is on the rear of the diff

xTooltipElement
Service Information       
2005 Chevrolet Equinox | Equinox (VIN L) Service Manual | Driveline/Axle | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 1564686
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#04-04-20-004: Growl, Groan, Moan Noise and/or Shudder, Binding During Parking Lot Maneuvers (Replace Rear Axle Differential Drum/Clutch Pack Assembly) - (Nov 12, 2004)

Subject: Growl, Groan, Moan Noise and/or Shudder, Binding During Parking Lot Maneuvers (Replace Rear Axle Differential Drum / Clutch Pack Assembly)

Models: 2005 Chevrolet Equinox

with All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Built Prior To VIN Breakpoint 56090271

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a growl, groan, moan noise and/or binding from the rear of the vehicle while making low speed parking lot maneuvers.

Do This
Don't Do This

Replace the rear differential Drum Assembly / Clutch Assembly P/N 15235312.
DO NOT replace the Complete Differential Module / Rear Drive Module (RDM) P/N 15224698.

Correction
Follow the service procedure below to correct this condition.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. Refer to SI Document ID #995301.
Remove the propeller shaft underbody guard loop bolts.
Remove the guard loop.
Reference mark the propeller shaft flange-to-pinion flange relationship at the rear drive module (RDM).
Remove the propeller shaft flange mounting bolts at the RDM pinion flange.
Position the end of the propeller shaft away from the RDM and secure with heavy mechanics wire, or equivalent.
Place a container under the RDM housing.
Remove the RDM drain plug.
Drain the RDM fluid.

Install the J 08614-A (1) to the pinion flange (2) using the J 44873-2 shoulder bolts (3).
Loosen the pinion flange nut.
Remove the pinion flange nut.
Remove the J 08614-A from the pinion flange.
Remove the pinion flange.

Remove the RDM housing cover bolts (1).
Carefully remove the housing cover (2) from the RDM.

Remove the clutch drum (2) from the housing cover (1).

Remove the filter assembly.
Remove the locating pins.
Important: Do not gouge the housing cover and RDM sealing surfaces.

Remove all traces of sealer from the housing cover and RDM sealing surfaces.
Clean the housing cover and RDM sealing surfaces with denatured alcohol, or equivalent, and dry with a clean, lint free cloth.

Check the pinion flange sealing surface (1) for wear or gouges, the bolt threads (2) for damage and the pinion splines (3) for worn or damaged splines.

Inspect the dust deflector (2) for cracks.
Inspect the pinion flange seal (1), the front seal (2) and the rear seal (3) for tears, cuts, and gouges on the seals and sealing surfaces.
Install a new filter assembly, P/N 12569934.
Install the locating pins.

Align the new drum, P/N 15235312, clutches with the pump and pump bushing. Place the J 46607 in the splines of the clutch. Twist the alignment tool back and forth to align the pump and bushing. With a properly aligned clutch, the groove on the J 46607 will be flush with the drum as shown. Remove the tool by pulling straight out.
Important: When properly engaged, the clutch drum will be fully seated against the clutch drum oil seal.

Notice: The clutch cover housing must be fully seated to the rear drive module (RDM). Do Not use the mounting bolts to draw the cover to the RDM. If the cover does not fully seat to the RDM, the clutch drum assembly splines must be realigned to the pinion shaft splines before proceeding. Failure to follow these instructions will result in damage to the clutch assembly.

Install the clutch drum to the pinion shaft.

Apply a continuous bead of sealer, P/N 12346286 (Canadian P/N 10953472), of equal height and width to the RDM housing sealing surface.
Specification
Apply sealer to a height and width of 2.5 mm (0.098 in).

Important: Before installing the clutch housing cover, allow the sealer to "skin" for 5 minutes prior to assembly.

Install the clutch housing cover to the RDM.
Install the clutch housing cover bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

Install the input flange to the clutch shaft.
Replace the pinion flange nut, P/N 12569951 to the clutch shaft.
Install the J 08614-A to the pinion flange.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 203 N·m (150 lb ft).

Thoroughly clean the drain plug threads and apply thread sealer, GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480), to the plug threads.
Install the drain plug.
Tighten
Tighten the plug to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Remove the RDM fill plug.
Fill the RDM with Versatrak fluid, P/N 12378514 (Canada P/N 88901045).
Thoroughly clean the fill plug threads and apply thread sealer, GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480), to the plug threads.
Install the fill plug.
Tighten
Tighten the plug to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

Important: In order to obtain an accurate indication of the fluid level, the rear drive module priming procedure must be performed prior to fluid level inspection.

Inspect the rear differential fluid level. Refer to Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle (SI Document ID #1410570).
Road test the vehicle and verify the repair.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Drum / Clutch Assembly

(in Canada use 88901045)
Versatrak All Wheel Drive (AWD) Fluid

(in Canada use 10953472)
Sealer, RTV Silicone

(in Canada use 10953480)
Sealant, Pipe With Teflon

Filter, Rear Differential

Nut, Pinion Flange

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

F2240
Plates, Limited Slip Clutch - Replace
1.3 hrs

Add A
Road Test
0.1 hr

Add B
Fluid Level Checking Procedure
0.1 hr

The labor time guide has been changed to reflect the times in this bulletin.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation.  All rights reserved.

maineultraclassic

Now that's a lot of information..........but it covers everything I needed..

Thanks a lot for that, I'm going to start with check the differential fluid level, then move on from there.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB