April 27, 2024, 01:25:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sifton 440 vs. Sifton 112 Cobra cam

Started by Reddog74usa, January 16, 2013, 04:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I have one of the mid 70's Sifton 440 cams that is just stamped 440 and a later genuine Sifton Cobra 112 from the 80's and will be installing one of them in my 77 FXE. Is there any difference between the two? I can't find any specs on the older 440 cam to compare them and the only thing I do know about them is they are both a 440 lift cam. I ride mostly back country roads with some interstate. I'm running a cv carb and stock compression in an FXE. I know these are some older cams from days gone by but I thought I would ask and see if anyone would know if there's really any difference in these cams.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

For that bike, you want the Cobra. The "classic" Sifton 440 was called the Avenger, and is meant for higher compression motors. I'm attaching the specks of both, you can see the Avenger intake closes later than the Cobra.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

HotRodShovel

you probably know this but.. Ted's V Twin bought the Sifton name some years ago so you are not getting that legendary Sifton quality. Not saying Ted's stuff is not good, its just not Sifton.  Before knowing this, I bought a Sifton hydrolic lifter set. It was pretty badly machined. Tappets did not fit into guides, etc and I sent it back and put my old reliable solids back in.
Again, I'm not bashing Ted's..I've gotten tons of stuff from him over the years, just saying Sifton is no longer Sifton.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Reddog74usa

Yep I know about Sifton being bought by Taiwan Teddy. I wouldn't trust any engine parts from them as you never know who or where there made. These are pre V-Twin and are both old original Sifton cams. The 440 has never been run and the 112 Cobra has very little use and looks about new. I'm going to go with the 12 Cobra and see how it goes but going to have to wait till the weather changes for any serious riding time to really know how well it performs.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

shovelbill

do a little research into this.... http://www.blackwidowcams.com/ ...his website keeps changing......after we helped correct the 80" dyno chart with his "supper" (super?) cobra cam........which is a .525 lift version of the 112.

should be on google too.

tiawan ted has the rights to the sifton name......Craig(BW) has the Sifton master grinds and Siftons machines i think........it's what i read anyway.

build it, bust it.....figure out why

Ohio HD

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 18, 2013, 05:05:51 PM
Yep I know about Sifton being bought by Taiwan Teddy. I wouldn't trust any engine parts from them as you never know who or where there made. These are pre V-Twin and are both old original Sifton cams. The 440 has never been run and the 112 Cobra has very little use and looks about new. I'm going to go with the 12 Cobra and see how it goes but going to have to wait till the weather changes for any serious riding time to really know how well it performs.

I think you'll like the 112 a lot. I've used it in a bunch of Shovels back in the day, mostly 80 inch bikes, but a couple of 74's. They make nice power right from idle, and really pull pretty good all the way through. I mean a stock Shovel doesn't rev hard up top, and the 112 cam will make power as far as a stocker can spin. They idle really nice, and sound good.

Glad to hear it's a Sifton original.

one78shovel

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 19, 2013, 06:36:07 PM
Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 18, 2013, 05:05:51 PM

I think you'll like the 112 a lot. I've used it in a bunch of Shovels back in the day, mostly 80 inch bikes, but a couple of 74's. They make nice power right from idle, and really pull pretty good all the way through. I mean a stock Shovel doesn't rev hard up top, and the 112 cam will make power as far as a stocker can spin. They idle really nice, and sound good.

My 78 FXE is running the Sifton 440 Avenger. Maybe I will take a look at a 112 as well.

Something new to tinker with.

-178S

flhs90

Running an original Tom Sifton Cobra 112 in the 1980 Flh 80. It was in the bike when I opened up the cam chest. :beer:
Went back to the stock Harley hydraulic inserts after following the Service Manual tests to confirm good to run.
Nothing wrong with the solid conversion that was in the motor but felt the hydraulic inserts were a little easier on the rollers. Cobra good with solids or hydros.
Runs great pulls hard all the way as Ohio mentions.
Treated the motor to a set of the 7/16" diameter Andrews red adjustables.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

flhs90

Ohio that summary puts a smile on my face.

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 19, 2013, 06:36:07 PM
Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 18, 2013, 05:05:51 PMYep I know about Sifton being bought by Taiwan Teddy. I wouldn't trust any engine parts from them as you never know who or where there made. These are pre V-Twin and are both old original Sifton cams. The 440 has never been run and the 112 Cobra has very little use and looks about new. I'm going to go with the 12 Cobra and see how it goes but going to have to wait till the weather changes for any serious riding time to really know how well it performs.

1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon