May 05, 2024, 08:16:35 PM

News:

Twin cam clutch in an EVO

Started by Evo1, February 09, 2009, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

The question is will a clutch from an 99-07 twin cam work in an 90 Evo? I'm thinking of installing a 5 speed gear set from a twin cam and I understand that I would need to install an later clutch also. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

jsachs1

If you're going to put a '91 or later gear set in the '90 case,it will work.'90 trans. had a slightly undersize mainshaft compared to the '91 and later trans.You'll have to change the gearing on the TC basket for the starter to work.Also,a '91 and later clutch will work with the TC gear set.
John

Evo1

jsachs1,
what is involved in changing the gearing on the later clutch?  I have found a twin cam clutch with less than 100 miles on it for $95.00, sounds like deal.

Steve

Reddog74usa

I belive John means the starter ring gear on the clutch hub. The TC has a different ring gear so you will have to get one with the sam amount of teeth as the evo. maybe swap ring gears but I'm not sure.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

jsachs1

Quote from: Reddog74usa on February 09, 2009, 05:21:29 PM
I belive John means the starter ring gear on the clutch hub. The TC has a different ring gear so you will have to get one with the sam amount of teeth as the evo. maybe swap ring gears but I'm not sure.
Correctttttttttttttt  :up:
Starter Ring gear
John

Evo1

John and Reddog, thanks for the info!

Steve

gryphon

There are aftermarket ring gears available to allow you to adapt the later clutch. The later jackshaft won't work in the earlier primaries. You didn't mention if your bike is a touring model or a softail. If it's a softail then you can always find inner and outer primaries pretty cheap on ebay. I believe that any primaries up to '05 or maybe even '06 will work. If you watch ebay caregully you can find late model primaries that have been swapped out for chrome with very few miles on them. Could get a whole set for not much more than a ring gear.

Evo1

Gryphon,

The bike is a touring.

Steve

gryphon

That kinda makes the whole idea of swapping primaries more difficult but not out of the question. You would need an inner primary with a -94 year code. Any of the '94 and later outer primaries would fit (up to around '06). Of course you would still need the later jackshaft but the price isn't unreasonable.

moosemush

While $95 seems like a deal on the surface,it may be costly to adapt it to your bike. The most painless way is to change the starter ring gear as stated before. However you'll probably have to get one from Rivera or other aftermarket source at a cost of over $100. Also your primary chain will be loose because of the lost tooth on the clutch hub and so you'll want to get a 25 tooth front sprocket adding more cost. This will also change your gear ratio. Others even mentioned possibly needing to change primary covers- more $$. Just some food for thought.