April 27, 2024, 01:38:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'00 Softail Tank on FXR?

Started by JamesButler, January 19, 2013, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesButler

Anyone know if a 5-gal. '00-'04 Softail fuel tank (#62180-00) will fit on the FXR frame?  I already know certain Road King and Electra Glide tanks will fit with very little mods.  But interested in the FXLR look - with gauges on the handlebars, and that "smooth tank" style.  Looks as if the '00-'04 tank could achieve that style with very little modification, if it fits to the frame.

evo58

My FXR have a FXDWG  96 , 5 Gal tank, the rear flat tab welded , front the WG stock hole, worked fine.
evo

JamesButler

Quote from: evo58 on January 19, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
My FXR have a FXDWG  96 , 5 Gal tank, the rear flat tab welded , front the WG stock hole, worked fine.
evo

Yes, but doesn't the FXDWG tank have a cut-out at the top part of the tank for a dash-console?  I prefer a smooth-looking tank style with no dash-console, see FXLR tank, which is the reason for asking about the '00-'04 Softail model tank.  Looks like there would be very minimal mods to achieve that style, i.e., welding a rear tab and maybe fabricating a front mounting hole.  Not sure though if the spine cut-out is wide enough for it to fit on an FXR frame.  :nix: :scratch:

JamesButler

Quote from: evo58 on January 19, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
evo

PM me some pics of the set-up, if you can.  Thanks.