April 28, 2024, 08:16:40 AM

News:

Custom Ironhead wiring.

Started by ricochet, January 21, 2013, 08:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

That last electrical question started me wondering.  How to best go about wiring my custom Ironhead project.  Bike is mechanically a 73 engine in 73 frame but that's about it as far as simularities to stock and stock wiring.  Using generator still but with Ultima single fire ignition (Dyna copy) and 2 double Dyna coils.  Aftermarket headlight, later style handlebar controls already assembled with bars, 2004 rear fender with taillight and some kind of directionals still TBD.  Ignition switch will be some kind of frame mounted type (TBD).  I think I'll be using an electronic speedo/tach combo.  I have the 12v generator with solid state regulator from my knuckle chop that I think I can use, right?

So my first inclination was to get a late model harness but now I'm thinking that would actually be a waste since it would be pretty much canabalized in the process and are all those connections really necessary.

Then saw the complete kits offered by Ultima.  Looks all inclusive and with instructions.  At $150-200 might not be a bad thing.

Also,  I've wired a couple real basic chops in the past and have access to wiring materials, connectors if needed and the tools.  Am also experienced at wiring harness work from previous years work.

What do you think.  Use something out there or make from scratch?  Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
ricochet

saltcaveminer

since ultima only deals with the ignition why not stick with the stock harness and add wiring as needed.Salty

ricochet

Salty,  that's what I was thinking at first but how much of that harness would actually be used and match up?  Considering different ignition, different handlebar control wiring,  different tail light and head light, aftermarket solid state regulator, aftermarket ignition switch and accessories like soeedo/tach.  This is also why I thought maybe a late model harness but then......    would the relays and such be ironhead or like late model?

In order to wire from scratch I'd just need the diagrams appropriate for late models as long as they included all the components and references.

ricochet

kik

I'd wire from scratch, it would be a lot cleaner. Figure out how many components you need to wire. get all your wire together and start laying it out after measuring the backbone and exactly how and where you'll run each wire as it leaves the main harness off the backbone. If you're going to use HD color code that good, but if you're going to use your own color code then I would draw a color coded schematic first. As an after thought, you may want to include a fuse block into your system and wire things from that point.

saltcaveminer

it really comes down to what is there now and what is needed.i guess my point was this.what is wrong or lacking from what you already have?you certainly have the option of going new i just wanted to say that you may have a lot of the wiring you need.Salty 

ricochet

Thanks guys.  Probably create from scratch.  I do not have any wiring (no harness at all) with the exception of what is prewired for the late model controls on the pre-assembled bars and that has long vinyl jacketed wiring included.  Quite a few wires there.

I need to locate a good basic diagram for later model Sportsters that identifies the necessary components.  I'm comfortable with cable and harness work as I did this for work in a past life and have access to wire and components but am at a loss for what relays, etc. are actually necessary in this scenario.  Will create a map or my own scematic.

Dyna single fire, dual twin coil with dual plugs.  This is pretty clearly outlined in their directions.

12 v generator and solid state regualtor.  Assuming same as I had wired for basic function on my knuckle chop except going to a battery rather than the capacitor.

73 starter and solenoid.  ????

Ignition switch TBD but basic in design for electric start.  Switched for turn starting or use a remote button?

Aftermarket LED taillight with directionals incorporated.  Uses resistor pack in line?  What is this for?

Aftermarket headlight with directionals incorporated.

Electronic Speedo/tach TBD likely Dakota.  Driven off a mechanical to electrical converter off rear wheel that I have.  Again the wiring of this is explained I think.  Speedo off the rear wheel and tack off the Dyna Ignition.

This is the beginning of a plan.

ricochet

kik

"Aftermarket LED taillight with directionals incorporated.  Uses resistor pack in line?  What is this for?"

LED's run on a very low voltage as opposed to your regular incandescent bulbs which run on 12v. If you do not use the resistors the 12v system will basically see the lights as an open circuit, it could cause hyper flashing with the turn signals, ect, ect. 

desertrat

I use Yahoo for my search engine and type in "wiring diagram images" and it delivers a image site. After I click on it I type in "harley davidson wiring images". You get a ton of them, some simple, some stock, and some more complicated. Print off the want you want and get to soldering....Good Luck

ricochet

Yea.  That's what I'll be doing.   I thought there was a good thing going looking through e-bay to where this guy sells nice laminated and color diagrams on good size card stock.  In the ads he sais he'll make up custom diagrams so I sent over a list of my particulars but he wouldn't bite.  I had bought a diagram for the 73 already.  At least it's a start in listing most of the components.

"Hello, I have your great diagram for 73 ironhead and noticed the comments and your offer of creating custom diagrams. How about one for my project. Essentially using a 73 ironhead engine, frame, 12 volt gen, solid state reg, batt, but with the ultima/dyna 2000i ignition, twin Dyna 2 tower minicoils for dual spark plugs per cylinder. But using late model tins so, aftermarket headlight with dir included. Same idea tailight with dir included. I think these take a resistor somewhere in-line as they're provided. Dakota or similar combo speedo/tack driven off a mechanical to electrical converter off the rear wheel right side. Have late mode handlebar controls prewired by the bar supplier as a package. Thinking along the lines of late model TYPE electronics for fusing, indicator switches, relays, etc. Will use 73 electric starter and solonoid. Wanting relatively bare bones wiring with minimal clutter. I can do any wire and harness work required.What do you think? Out of space."

ricochet

nibroc

just a tad techinical for my 59 XLCH mag :emoGroan:

olpigiron

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

ricochet

Thanks.  Those will certainly come in handy.  It's really a matter of me understanding each system, some early and some more modern, then morphing them into a plan.

ricochet

nucklhead13

One must color code the wiring just like the owner's manual does. That makes it easier to find what needs to be repaired as needed. I think a saudar iron works better with motorcycles than clamp on connectors.

nucklhead13

I got the 1979 to 1982 XL model 100 CC repair manual. It has a wiring diagram. Looking at that makes it easy to run the wires on my own. It even helped me chose different wire colors. With it I can see what to skip. It even helps figure out what else is needed.