May 09, 2024, 02:41:04 AM

News:

The 110 mph barrier

Started by kevindreux, January 23, 2013, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokerjlk

Quote from: Panzer on January 24, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

I'm glad most of you aren't fisherman, or we would hear some whopper fish stories too. :emoGroan: :potstir:
you ain't gonna believe this .....chit :teeth:
I got a customer that has a 88hp, 110 tq, 96 ci, 2010 r/g, tour pak, rev limiter set at 6500 so he can run 6400 rpm, 122 mph in 4th gear  :chop:

actually it is 88/98 :embarrassed:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

coastie56

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 24, 2013, 07:45:15 PM

I'm glad most of you aren't fisherman, or we would hear some whopper fish stories too. :emoGroan: :potstir:
you ain't gonna believe this .....chit :teeth:
I got a customer that has a 88hp, 110 tq, 96 ci, 2010 r/g, tour pak, rev limiter set at 6500 so he can run 6400 rpm, 122 mph in 4th gear  :chop:
But what kind of oil does he run? :bike:
actually it is 88/98 :embarrassed:

rigidthumper

Hmm. My bagger doesn't seem to have an issue with >110, and it has a Harley ECM ;) Highest GPS reading to date is 138.. Haven't had the inclination/courage to try to hit the rev limit in 6th.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

strokerjlk

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 24, 2013, 08:18:37 PM
Hmm. My bagger doesn't seem to have an issue with >110, and it has a Harley ECM ;) Highest GPS reading to date is 138.. Haven't had the inclination/courage to try to hit the rev limit in 6th.
you got me beat by 6 mph  GPS (5th gear). :dgust:
maybe 6th will keep pulling hard enough now, with a little more hp.
I like to always be pulling hard at that speed  :crash:
that hair dryer  has to be a blast.  :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

texaskatfish

115 (and mebbe a skosh more) used to be a Sunday ritual / final rush of the day for Gracie and I every time we came down outta the front range back into Denver (2001 FLHR with a fairly mild 95 build)..........never did see where top end was but had a little throttle left......in fairness we were on a downhill grade but not very steep
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

panhead_dan

117 with a stock 2002 ultra, stage 1 kit and a tailwind.

Deye76

Them Harley speedometers show faster than yer going sure make me feel good!  :chop:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kik

Since owning this bike, I hit the 115 mark 1 time with the old motor but since having a new stock dropped in I really haven't had it over 90 tops. I figure they can either go around me or I'll just pull off to a rest area and wait for traffic to settle down. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere anymore.

Tsani

My speedo is fairly close to what the gps says.  :nix:
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Deye76

Mine is fairly close too, but once over 100mph, the spead is greater. According to the GPS.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

:up:

rigidthumper

:hyst:
Quote from: strokerjlk on January 24, 2013, 09:02:46 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on January 24, 2013, 08:18:37 PM
you got me beat by 6 mph  GPS (5th gear). :dgust:
maybe 6th will keep pulling hard enough now, with a little more hp.
I like to always be pulling hard at that speed  :crash:
that hair dryer  has to be a blast.  :up:
Hair Dryer???

Oh! You mean my Deer Whistle!   :hyst:
Ya, it's fun. Kinda scary, since mt brakes are still stock  :oops:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Powerglides

January 26, 2013, 02:26:41 AM #37 Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:53:41 AM by Powerglides
When the factory started fitting the 103 motor to the FLs for the 2011 model year, I did some experiments on two Road Kings. One had 18" Apes fitted, and a big rider, and the other had a detachable batwing and fairing lowers with a small rider. Initially I used the HQ500 cams and Supermegs with 20 discs. Neither of these bikes would pull consistently through that 110mph "wall" in 6th gear. The weight, aerodynamics (or rather lack of) and that tall gearing, needs some good power in that rpm area. I had them both back in and started playing around with the discs on the Supermegs, and found how much better they were with 26 discs. The difference was enough to push both these bikes through that "wall" and on past 125mph using 6th gear.
The conclusion I came to is that we need to be seeing in excess of  80hp, and climbing, at this road speed in 6th to have this happen.
Ok, these are 5th gear runs from the Road King with the apes, but in 6th that power difference between 4000 and 4500 did the job. There's a lot to be said for tailoring the power characteristics of the parts combo to suit the owners riding style, irrespective of the peak numbers.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Boz

JerkFace

135 on the MM Bridge/Tunnel

Flat Dog

125 according to the GPS. 08 Ultra with a 120R tuned by Doc. Plenty more speed left, needed more testicles.

noiddodge

02 FXD, goes past 110 in 4th gear with me and the OL on it.....
Noid
AVFFAV