May 05, 2024, 10:04:36 PM

News:

Locating my ignition module 1990 FLHS

Started by flhs90, February 10, 2009, 07:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evo Riders:

I am thinking of going to the Screaming Eagle 6000 rpm ignition module. I believe I will also need the adapter kit.
I looked in my manual but just didn't see it yet. Maybe it's under my dash.
Any help or pics would be appreciated.

What performance gains might I notice over the stock ignition module. I have read that this is about a $100 improvement over stock and a good "bang for the buck."  As far as I know the bike only has CV carb(unknown jetting), Supertrapp tunable disc slipons, K & N Air Filter, adjustable pushrods. Unsure of cam.

57 HP and 71 HP

For what it's worth. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Snowed so no time to ride  :rtfb: :beer:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

mark98012

The module on my '86 was on the left side of the neck.

Mark
Mark98012

sandrooney

On my 95 RK it was under my right side cover. I just put a SE ign. module on it and they are obslete, I had the dealer check around and found one in Kansas, so if you have trouble just ask the dealer to check around the other dealers in the US. and they will ship it to you. He found several so I know they are out there.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

flstc03

Mine is located on left side of neck on my '90 FLHS. Not sure about performance improvements over stock, was on when purchased, but the way it runs I wouldn't give it up, put over 10k miles on last year, sweet running bike.

Evo1

flstcs03,not to highjack the thread, but do you know the names of the paint colors on your 90 flhs? I have the same paint combo and have not been able to figure what Harley called those colors.

Thanks, Steve

JBarrettB

Someone correct me if I mistaken, But I believe that the ignition curves in the OEM and the SE modules are the same for an EVO. The rev limit is the only difference in them.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

darrelbarrows

from what i read the low and midrange curve is the same with the high slightly different

flhs90

JB & Darrell:

Thanks for the info. I see no need to mess with a great running Evo.
Called Harley Corportate today.it looks like my FLHS has the original 1990 cases. No leakage from engine to primary so far at 63K.
I'm the 4th owner. I walk out to the garage, turn gas switch on, pull enrichener knob, give 3 twists on the throttle. Starts ad purrs every single time.
Rarely rev it pst 4500K,so looks like no gains with screaming eagle ignition.

Ride Safe and thanks for the info. It all helps clear my mind!
FLHS90 aka "Dave"
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

Buddy WMC

Why not put those $$$ towards a more adjustable system that will accomodate any future changes? Check out the Dyna 2000i, Crane HI 4 and Daytona TT. Pretty sure that they make a module that will fit your bike and still uses the factory pickup. Pluses much more adjustability, tuning selections, rear cylinder timing and dual or single fire capabilty.

Negatives costs a few more bucks, but I personally run an older Dyna 2000 on single fire and could not be happier. If and when it goes south, I'll probably look into the Crane or DTT as my Dyna does not have the rear cylinder timing capability. Not sure if that was remedied with the 2000i upgrade.

fxr4mikey

Quote from: Buddy WMC on February 11, 2009, 12:48:40 PM
Why not put those $$$ towards a more adjustable system that will accomodate any future changes? Check out the Dyna 2000i, Crane HI 4 and Daytona TT. Pretty sure that they make a module that will fit your bike and still uses the factory pickup. Pluses much more adjustability, tuning selections, rear cylinder timing and dual or single fire capabilty.

Negatives costs a few more bucks, but I personally run an older Dyna 2000 on single fire and could not be happier. If and when it goes south, I'll probably look into the Crane or DTT as my Dyna does not have the rear cylinder timing capability. Not sure if that was remedied with the 2000i upgrade.

Compu-Fire also makes a fine ignition system, that I'm sure will work with your bike.  I have one in my ride, you can run it either single or dual fire, I run single fire. I have over 12K miles on this ignition system....... NO PROBLEMS !!  I'm VERY PLEASED with this item on my bike.
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb