May 06, 2024, 12:07:28 AM

News:

77 Ironhead Stroked!! Too F'in Loud!!

Started by RayRay12, January 29, 2013, 06:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRay12

OK, I picked up a 77 sportster, Stroked and loud as Hell@! It had drag pipes on it!! What can I do to quite her down to where it's not so damn Loud!! I mean it's TOO Too Loud!?? Thanks guys!!
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

ricochet

If they're straight pipes without baffles the cheapest thing you can do for starters is put cheap baffles in them.  Or go a bit better and get good baffles.  You can also get slip on mufflers for the tips or cut the drags down to mount them.  This is all short of just buying new pipes. 

As with any mod performance may vary.

ricochet

Hillside Motorcycle

Drag part #, PHD-112-T will do it. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RayRay12

Thanks guys! That's what i was thinkin too, Put Baffles in! Homemade ones possibly! I'll fab something up!! :o)

Hillside Motorcycle

Baffles in the drag pipe will sound like dogsh.t.
The # I posted is a mufflered system that works VERY well.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RayRay12

Thanks Scott! I was thinkin the same thing!! I have the stock mufflers off of my 91 1200 sportster i was thinkin about trying to make those work. Or maybe try to find some old shorty mufflers, Used , Cheap!! Kinda scrapin up the pennies an Nickles!! There isn't any used motorcycle junk yards anywhere close to me!! Not like back in the day!! Thanks again Scott, for your advice!!

Hillside Motorcycle

A set of Cycle Shack, or S/E slip-ons would do it as well.
An OE muffler will pinch the power.
Scott

garyajaz

RayRay12

Quote from: garyajaz on January 31, 2013, 07:00:12 AM
how many inches ya got now?
Not sure but the PO says it's stroked to a 1200!

garyajaz

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: RayRay12 on January 31, 2013, 08:51:00 AM

4 5/8" S&S stroker kit, I'd imagine.
Set up and tuned correctly, those can give modern bikes a real run for their money. :up:
Can't even remember how many of those we built........
74 CI.
Scott

RayRay12

Quote from: HILLSIDECYCLE on February 01, 2013, 06:06:36 AM
Quote from: RayRay12 on January 31, 2013, 08:51:00 AM

4 5/8" S&S stroker kit, I'd imagine.
Set up and tuned correctly, those can give modern bikes a real run for their money. :up:
Can't even remember how many of those we built........
74 CI.
Scott
I wish I was Closer to you Scott! I haven't gotten it running yet! It sat for over a year! I put the charger on it but didn't have time to mess with it!! This Sat. I'll have more time! Of course it's going to be back in the single digits again! No heat in the Garage!

desertrat

74 " sporties are the real thing, screamers...I took some aluminum plate, cut two round circles the size of my drag pipes, drilled holes in them, then drilled a hole in the side and tapped it for a screw. It sounded good, to me, and worked for years.  I couldn't afford the high dollar stuff..

Hillside Motorcycle

A good friend of ours ran a 114" Iron XL, AHDRA, ECRA, Mod Class.
OEM 1965(distributor engine) frame cradle, with a 2"(could have been 4")extended swing arm.
He manufactured his own titanium rods, Dura-bar cylinders, trans gears, flywheels, cams, headwork, primary drive system, etc, etc, etc.
9.0's @ 144-145 consistantly.
He has forgot more, than many will ever learn. :up:
Scott