May 06, 2024, 02:13:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brake light switch.

Started by IN SEARCH OF, February 10, 2009, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IN SEARCH OF

99 Softail Custom (EVO)...brake light does not come on when front brake handle applied. Does come on when foot pedal applied. Is there a seperate brake light switch for front and rear? Where is the front one if so? Thanks guys. :bf:

92Fatty

Have you changed the brake handle lately? There is a switch in the housing. Controlled by a little tab. It can be a PIA but i'd ceck there and yes there are 2 seperate switches.

guido4198

That switch in the grip is kinda "counter-intuitive". It is a pressure release activated switch. As long as you are NOT pulling in the brake handle...the little tab referred to above holds the spring loaded button "in" and prevent contact from energizing the brake light. When you puul the brake lever...that little tab is pulled away from the spring loaded tab, which allows contact to be made inside the switch body, and the light is energized. That switch itself can go bad, or...it can get just the least little bit out of position so that pulling the brake lever doesn't fully release the little button on it.

96dynabagger

That switch isn't the most robust.  I had one go on my Dyna.  Its a fairly easy swap
if you're careful when reattaching the brake lever.  See manual for details.  The good
news is that they're fairly cheap.

Mine went when ready to leave for Sturgis a few years back.  Made me a day late.   :angry:

J-Carr

If you don't space the lever when replacing it, It's real easy to break that tab.  It's also a real PIA to get lined up when switching it out.  I did it on my '99 Ultra when I put chrome housings on but I don't recommend it.  My kid and I do most all our own wrenching, and that's a job I'd take it to a shop to handle if I had to deal with it again!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin Nemo Dresser
Auburn, PA

IN SEARCH OF

You guys are great...thanks for the info. At least I know where to start now.  :potstir: