September 20, 2024, 05:48:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

NB sensor over 85 Kpa

Started by ultraswede, February 13, 2013, 11:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViennaHog

Quote from: ultraswede on February 13, 2013, 11:41:03 PM
QuoteBy 80kpa they are forced to go open loop, out of stoich

Wonder why?

Cars don't do this.....

cars do that as well. They use full throttle enrichment to keep the engine safe at sustained Autobahn speed

wurk_truk

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 14, 2013, 10:37:07 AM
Quote from: wurk_truk on February 14, 2013, 10:17:08 AM
Quote from: ultraswede on February 14, 2013, 09:44:51 AM

(If I melt my motor, it would be my fault, as it is today if I damage anything with my tuning)

From Talking to Steve at the show, this is THE very reason we do not see this capability on VTune.  One would really need to check the data out forwards and backwards, mentally, before accepting the tune.  Problem would be an outlier COULD damage the engine and it WOULD take a careful review.  His feeling, from doing this awhile, is that not everyone would be careful and the product simply HAS to be designed for the 'lowest common denominator' kind of customer.  Look at ALL the warnings about MTEs, and even I didn't follow that fully on the rat bike.

I have to call BS on this one. It did not and does not stop Steve from selling units to  anyone with a pre o2 sensor bike where they can put in any ve number or AFR they dream up.

You calling BS on ME?  I sat there, at the show, and heard him pontificate on this very subject and I quote very well, thank you.
Oh No!

strokerjlk

Quotelets say for example the motor happens to be lean at WOT assuming the base map has a "normal" Lambda/AF target of say 13.0 AF, what happens when you set the calibration to force closed loop @ stoich 14.6 AF so you can use the factory O2 sensors and run thru WOT to populate your corrections? ......there is a very good chance your already incorrect calibration will be running the motor @ 16.0:1 AF or even leaner, not to mention doing this under load at full throttle. That should answer alot of questions on this subject.
It happens at 30-80 kpa ,so anyone that has seen 16-17.0 at low map CL has to know it does the same at 80-100 kpa.
So lets say you get your Afr dialed in at 100kpa  @ shoich
Now what are you going to do about dialing timing in?
You have adjust Afr again once you make a timing adjustment.
It would be worthless AT this point to go back to stoich and try to dial Afr back in.
So in order to fine tune one you need to sample at the afr the motor is operating in.
If your just making the bike run and don't care to find its full potential a guy could use stoich to get it close. But the whole idea is to super tune one isn't it?

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

ultraswede

February 15, 2013, 05:44:21 AM #28 Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:48:17 AM by ultraswede
QuoteBut the whole idea is to super tune one isn't it?
:fish:

No, we are talking V-tune here......on the street

Quotecars do that as well. They use full throttle enrichment to keep the engine safe at sustained Autobahn speed
Yes they do.
BUT I am talking about the tuning situation now.

joe_lyons

1fstrk[/quote]
Just curious how did you determine that 13:1 AFR makes best power?
[/quote]
I just picked 13 I could have done 13.5 also but I did not have the time to do a good full tune on the dyno. Just some quick runs to see where I was at.  I want to get my small o2 sensors done then do a full tune.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

strokerjlk

QuoteQuote
But the whole idea is to super tune one isn't it?

QuoteNo, we are talking V-tune here......on the street
:up:
LOL   I meant dial one in very well.
But I see your point :up:

Steve Cole

wurk_truk quote me just fine. An O2 sensor has no idea what an engine is doing nor does it care. The decision to not allow for tuning above 84 kPa was a company decision here. We've been tuning EFI systems for over 25 years and we felt due to who all can use our product that was as far as we were willing to go. The ECM doesn't care as long as it is properly set up for it and just switching the table to closed loop is not all that needs to be done. There are plenty of things that can be done, provided you have enough data to support those decisions. With all the various builds we picked a point we felt would keep the risk to a level we were happy with.

If people are to look at data then make an adjustment, then repeat the process it is up to them and you can do it just as good with a narrow band sensor as you can with a Broad Band one as they are used today. Neither will be accurate but both will show you when the mixture is changing and which direction is leaner or richer.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Jamie Long

Quote from: Steve Cole on February 18, 2013, 08:43:34 AM

If people are to look at data then make an adjustment, then repeat the process it is up to them and you can do it just as good with a narrow band sensor as you can with a Broad Band one as they are used today. Neither will be accurate but both will show you when the mixture is changing and which direction is leaner or richer.

I dont think there is anyone that will agree with this statement

BVHOG

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 18, 2013, 10:11:23 AM

It was cool though how he got that little rip in on the broad band sensors while still not admitting he was wrong when TobeFrank showed him the correct math regarding the broad band accuracy.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 18, 2013, 10:11:23 AM

Not anyone that has ever done it more than once.
But I am sure there are those that still will agree.

FLTRI

Since we do not certify emissions the variations found between using these sensors do not preclude a tuner from getting the most from a build.

A tuner may not be able to quantify to the tenth AFR but the importance is in the end product not the absolute accuracy/number of the measuring equipment used.

Good conscientious servicing of measuring equipment provides very repeatable results which is the key to successful comparisons.

For over 20 years these Broadband (LSU4, etc) sensors have provided tuners with reliable, repeatable results when used in the AFR pumps as provided and tested by Dynojet.

Not convinced results from sampling in a pressurized exhaust pipe provides the same level of repeatability as the non-pressurized Dynojet pump.

But either way can produce great running bikes.

I prefer to use Dynojet's method...after all they've been developing dynos and tuning bikes everyday for many, many years and should know as much, if not more, than anyone else.

Just the way I see it from my personal experiences,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

ultraswede

And still another thread drifting (excuse the pun) in to broadband sensors, even though BBs have nothing to do with the OPs (mine) question. :hyst:
(My question was about > 84 Kpa tuning with NBs, as i n V-tuning.)