April 27, 2024, 02:53:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sportster 13 amp voltage regulator for E-start BigTwin

Started by ModelABob, February 11, 2009, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelABob

I'm wanting to run a Sportster (74504-82) 13 amp voltage regulator with a 65A generator on my '65 Panhead.  The Pan has electric start with a '74-'75 FXE Superglide electric start type battery.  The regulator has 3 wires come in out of it into a plug.  I want to cut off the plug and find out where the three wires go.  One is green, one is red and the last is a light brown/tan-ish color.  Which one would go to the "A" terminal on the generator, which one would go to the "F" terminal and
the last one would go into the wiring harness??  Any help would be appreciated.  The 10 amp regulator I have been running
just will not feed enough juice back into the battery. :emsad:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

saltcaveminer

i cant say for sure that the later sporty reg will work with the early generator.what i can say is sportys with those wire colors hook up as follows.tan to gen green to f and red to bat.remember to polarize after hookup.Salty 

ModelABob

Salty,

Your saying: the tan wire to the "A" (armature) post on the generator, the green wire to the "F" (field core) post and the red to the wiring harness (battery).  Thank you, much appreciate the info.  I'm not sure about the 65A generator working
with the regulator either. I believe the 65B generator (Hitachi) was the one originally used. Maybe the Hitachi puts out more juice itself then the 65A Delco-Remy? I have been meaning the get one of the Hitachi's, but I've got 2 more 65A
parts gnerators and new field cores, armature, etc.  The Cycle-Electric newly made generators with built in regulator would be the best way to go. Thanks again.  :teeth:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper