Removing those two long screws in the ratchet lid

Started by billbuilds, February 11, 2009, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I can't seem to get those two long bolts in my 4 speed ratchet top lid to come loose. My craftsman 3/8" drive socket is too short. A 5/32 L-key, even one in a folding set where the handle provide a fair amount of leverage won't budge them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

vern

oh bill, bad news! they are hard to get out, tap them from the top with the driver in place. patience is the trick. tap the little fu*kers and try to break the threads loose. you'll need some beer and what ever else relaxes you. oh and good luck. vern

ricochet

At the risk of overtorquing them what I found sometime works for stubborn ones like that is to try tightening just a wee bit first, then back em out.  Just trying to break that bond that's developed .  Whatever wrench, key, whatever you use make sure it's in good shape to get a good bite at it without stripping.  Slather so'me wd40 on there too but clean off before wrenching.

ricochet

BKACHE

Cut an L key off and put in in a 1/4 inch socket so you can push down on it while tapping it sideways.
Install with anti-sieze.
Dan

verson22

billbuilds

I've got a hand impact driver ok but what I don't have is a long enough 5/32 allen in socket form. Checked Snap-on online and could only find a 1/4" impact socket to the tune of about $17. Looks like it's plenty long enough though.  I guess I'll have to give the local dealer a call, I'm told that he'll be in the area tomorrow.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

Finally got em!

My 1/4" drive sockets go down as small as 1/4" and that's it. Even if I cut off  a 5/32"  L-key I have no socket that small to drive it with. What to do...
     I realized that the bit on my Craftsman 3/8" drive by 5/32" allen head socket was 1/4" where it comes out of the socket, before it tapers to the working size. I spread the jaws on vise and used a punch to drive the bit out of the socket. It fit nicely in a 1/4" drive 1/4" socket secured by a little switch of duct tape.
     I stacked a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter on top of a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter so that I could spin the 1/4" drive socket with a 1/2" drive hand held impact wrench. This stacking of bit in socket-in adapter in-adapter fit pretty nicely. Several sharp wraps on the impact wrench with a 3# hammer and they brokes loose with the good twist of a 3/8" drive ratchet.  Yum, the beer tastes good.