April 27, 2024, 09:10:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

the dam thing won't fit.

Started by vern, February 11, 2009, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

i'm converting my 81 FXE to a rear belt, but the pulley seems to be to wide by about  1/8 " the pulley is a C.C. item. i think that i'll have to have it machined a little.  this is the tranny pulley and i have the proper inner primary. any clues? vern

ramcr913

Vern-
"the pulley seems to be to wide by about  1/8"- No sure what you mean- too wide too fit the transmission shaft, too wide to clear the inner primary, or ?? What are you going to have machined?
Keep us posted on the conversion, I have a 1980 FXEF I may convert.

Thanks

billbuilds

Vern,
     What tranny are you using? How wide is your CC pulley? I think that you may need a different mainshaft spacer (the one that the pulley butts up to on the mainshaft). They are different depending on whether the tranny was set up for chain or belt final.  I believe that the one you need is the oem 35070-82A.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

vern

thanks for the replys and help, the inner primary hits the pulley so there is a gap at the 4 mounting bolts, i also checked the spacer on the tranny side of the sprocket even with out the spacer it's still to wide, the inside of the pulley where the belt rides is 1 and 11/16 inch wide and the belt is 1and 1/2 inch wide thats 3/16 of an inch  which i'm going to have machined. i think this pulley is flawed from the factory or it's the wrong pulley either way i'm going to make the cut. vern

Ultrashovel

Quote from: vern on February 12, 2009, 01:08:30 PM
thanks for the replys and help, the inner primary hits the pulley so there is a gap at the 4 mounting bolts, i also checked the spacer on the tranny side of the sprocket even with out the spacer it's still to wide, the inside of the pulley where the belt rides is 1 and 11/16 inch wide and the belt is 1and 1/2 inch wide thats 3/16 of an inch  which i'm going to have machined. i think this pulley is flawed from the factory or it's the wrong pulley either way i'm going to make the cut. vern

The reason that you are having clearance problems is that the Shovelheads with the rear belt drive have a different inner primary with a large pocket which provides clearance for the belt and pulley.

My old parts book shows this:

60498-80     80 to 82 FXB  Black
60531-83B   83 to *  FXSB, 84 FXWG?   Black.

I don't know why they show it for the FXWG unless they had some FXWG's with a belt. If you have the belt primary, it will also work with a chain and sprocket.

I remember seeing one in a shop once. They are as rare as hens' teeth. If you can make it work by some machining, that will probably do the trick.

Happy Trails.

vern

i've got a belt drive inner primary and it's got a deep pocket for the pulley but it's just .0194" to wide

Ultrashovel

Quote from: vern on February 12, 2009, 11:35:19 PM
i've got a belt drive inner primary and it's got a deep pocket for the pulley but it's just .0194" to wide

You apparently have a wider pulley and belt than the 1980's model. Do you mean 0.194 or 0.0194? You said somethng like 3/16". That would be 0.1875.

vern

your right , the pulley seems a bit to wide , it's a CCI product and it could be made wrong but like any custom aplication it looks like i most likely have to machine a bit and clear the casting

MMOCGuy

Vern,

I sent you an email telling you that J&P Cycles had the inner primary for belt drives '80-'84 then noticed that you had a posting here that you already had one. What I did notice in some of my research is that there are different spacers that are available for the 80-83 which fit behind the pulley. I know that this was mentioned somewhere in one of the earlier posts but I'm rementioning it just to be sure.

One thing I did notice in what limited research I did was the aftermarket catalog I'm looking at does not list tranny pulleys for the 4 speeds. They only list '85 and up. I'm wondering if the 4 speed pulley is different width and, if so, perhaps you have the wrong pulley.

You might try giving the tech support guys at J&P Cycles a call and see what they have to say.

I know this isn't much. I running blind here because I've never done the conversion nor have I ever worked on a belt drive but, I hope it helps some. :crook:

Norm.

Lew

You need to run a 35039-84 or 35039-85 mainshaft with that rear belt inner to make things work.  Also you will need to run an outer primary that is intended to be used with the rear belt inner to get the electric start to work right.  Good luck
Lew   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-