April 27, 2024, 05:38:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2008 XL oiling diagram

Started by prodrag1320, February 21, 2013, 02:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prodrag1320

i got a motor that another shop went thru 2 times.the guy brought it in to them because it had a blown headgasket,now it dosnt have pressure to the lifters & no oil going to the top end (ive only got the cam side case right now)from what im told its got pressure getting to the filter/pressure switch.(no passages are blocked).the latest manual i have is 2001,it shows a restricted hole by the rear intake lifter hole.does any one know if the 2004-up XL`s have a restricted hole to bleed off pressure too?or is that done by the piston oiling jets?im thinking there was a restricted plug that blew out,thus bleeding off all the pressure.this other shops been messing with this for 4 months,they finally blew the guy out the door after saying it was the lifters,telling him they were .050 too small :scratch: (they have .0015 clearance)not sure HOW they were measuring them,not the right way ill tell ya that!!any help would be appreciated

BB

Kirby , my 2004 book shows the restrictor hole at the rear lifter area like you said .The book says it supply's a small amout of oil to the cam gears.Is there any way the other guys knocked a piston oiler off and it is dumping the oil in the lower end?Or don't the oil go through the gear cover to feed the lifters at the gasket ?Is there a problem there?
Ride Fast & Take Chances

massheadcase1

I ran into something similar recently....were the lifters changed?...08 XL same thing after rebuild no oil to top end....turned out to be wrong(earlier) lifters... the oil band on the lifters was too high and at full lift the band was protruding out of the lifter bore........Headcase