April 27, 2024, 02:39:19 PM

News:

Brake Switch Housing

Started by 06ultra, November 06, 2008, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06ultra

Does anyone know how to remove the front brake switch From the housing? At first I thought maybe it screwed out, or maybe its forced into it. Mine is bad and can't get it removed with out doing some damage. I've got a service manuel ordered but its not here yet,

76shuvlinoff

The wires should just pull off of it then the switch unscrews, I've had them just spin because the crimp between the threaded end and the switch body got loose over the years. Then you have to get a little aggressive and hope if you break it there's enough left to grab onto.

Good luck!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

06ultra

Thanks for the reply, my manuel should be here tomarrow and I'm gonna tackle that project and also replace the run/off switch at the same time.

76shuvlinoff

good luck!
Every time I'm into these old housings and switches I remember I can't solder to save my azz.   :'(
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

06ultra

I here what you're saying but soldering not so bad if you keep those joints clean and don't overheat it. sometimes you need 3 hands though.

Dennman

I've never had any luck with those front brake switches workin for very long.Seems the plunger always gets peened over and jams in the switch body.Got one in there but it hasn't worked for many years.As for the other switches I bought the handlebar switch kit, with the wires attached,and just use them as they fail.Much less frustratin and less damage ta the other housin parts.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

pappyfreebird

do yerself a favor n cut the wires n tape em n ferget em  besides ya need that levar fer grabbin when the po po on yer azz wid out any lights commin on

06ultra

More than one person has said to forget about it, so thats what I'll do for now. Its kinda nice to be able to slow down and not have the brake light come on after passing the popo a little fast. Thanks for all the help guys, this place rocks.

Did I say I love my shovel.

fulldress79

I'm with Pappy about cut and splice.I used shrink tubing instead of tape,and left the wires a little longer to ease installation. I have to have mine work. The front brake brakelight has to work in my state for a sticker!

hgailey

The stock front brake switch unscrews but as much hassle as they are to remove and install, I pulled the wires out of the harness and ran them down to a hydraulic switch I installed at the t-block located under the fork neck. The hydraulic switches may not last much longer but they are easier to replace. The hydraulic switch in the front brake line is much easier to get a good bleed on than the back brake line. I intend to switch the back brake light switch to a mechanical switch like a lot of the old jap bikes had.
78 FX - DAILY RIDER NICE WEATHER; 02 FXDX DAILY RIDER OTHER WEATHER

06ultra

Those switch housings can be pretty finicky about pinching a wire if everything isn't in the right place when putting it back together. Relocating the switch sounds like a good idea, may do that installation at a later date. My bike has been down now for about a month with an electrical problem that I just solved this weekend and I'm ready to hit the road for awhile without problems.

Hazy

Arlen Ness and a few others also make banjo bolt style brake switches in 10 and 12 mm that'll fit some M/Cs and calipers. Much smaller than the rear type switch and you can cover them if you want for a clean look.
Hazy