April 27, 2024, 10:35:33 AM

News:

Left hand clutch right hand shift

Started by 72bobber, February 25, 2013, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72bobber

New guy here, been working on my 1972 ironhead bobber over winter that I got on a trade.  I'm making it hand shift on the right side but leaving the left hand clutch.  Just wondering if anyone else has done this.  The bobber is not my main bike just a fun bar hopper.  I'll post a couple pics to give an idea of what I'm doing.

saltcaveminer

looks pretty good. can you send a pic like #2 except a little lower showing the bracket?how does it feel shifting?Salty
ps welcome

72bobber

Quote from: saltcaveminer on February 26, 2013, 07:34:58 AM
looks pretty good. can you send a pic like #2 except a little lower showing the bracket?how does it feel shifting?Salty
ps welcome

On the bracket I flipped the forward shifter over and bolted on an early VW shifter.  Shifts good as long as you're not drag racing.

saltcaveminer

the bracket and linkage look nice and clean.is the round shift handle rod solid or hollow.if its solid i might suggest that it would be better to flatten the inside surface to mate with the bracket (flat to flat).nice job overall.Salty
PS bar hopping + drag racing = DISASTER

eglideic

Here is a prediction.
You hooked up a very long shaft and handle to a foot shifter.
That shifter works very nice with a quick flick of your boot.
No add the weight and leverage of that long shaft and you'll be shifting gears at every bump of the road.
At least that's my opinion.

nucklhead13

:smile:Thanks for this reminder. It makes me remember the suicide clutch. I have talked to an old timer and he told me about how hard it is to stop at some stop sighn on some road heading up hill. Yes it's been years since I heard that, Thanks.