May 05, 2024, 01:45:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New cam cover

Started by ramv102000, February 11, 2009, 03:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramv102000

I want to install a new aftermarket cam cover. But all the covers I look at online say that the bushings need to be sized. What do they mean by that, and can a Harley dealer or an indy size them?

Randy
Randy

bigpete1

the cam rides in the bushing in the cover and needs be sized to your cam yes local indy shop should be able to do this for you,pete

Showdog75

Checkout the Jims billet cam cover for sale in the evo swap meet section. That is a sweet deal on a high dollar cam cover.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

ricochet

By sizing.  Do you guys mean line reaming?  Wouldn't that involve having the right side case at their disposal, unassembled?  Or is that really overkill?

ricochet

ramv102000

I think I'm missing something here. If the bushing had to be sized to my cam, how could I ever change cams again? And what do you do with the pinion shaft bushing? Am I going to have to have both bushings line bored through a right side case? If so, wouldn't it need to be my case? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to change a cam cover. I didn't think it would be this involved.

Randy
Randy

harleytoprock

When a bushing is changed or the cover is new the bushings have to be sized to the final size. By line reaming, this insures perfect allignment. If you try and just put a reamer into the bushing you would cock it, making the hole bell shaped, jagged and misalinged. The size that the bushings are brought to would fit all standard cams and pinion ends. So you could change to any cam as they should be all the same size. Harley states that if the cases are not apart then any left side case will do. The instructions that came with my S&S cover stated that the bushings were sized already and all I had to do was bolt it on.

ramv102000

Thanks, it sounds like having the bushings properly sized will probably cost more than the cover.

Randy
Randy