May 01, 2024, 08:53:43 PM

News:

Pump It Up

Started by Eglider05, November 01, 2008, 06:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eglider05

Hi guys, I love the look of the new site, and the features look great.
I need a project for the winter and am looking for some advice on juicing up my motor. I use this bike for 2 up touring with my wife 25% of the time but I’m a hot rodder at heart so I want as much as I can get of the current 98” while keeping it streetable. I’m thinking a bump in compression to around 10.1 and some additional head work and a cam change. I also have a 48mm HPI throttle body bought used from a member. Any suggestions on pumping it up will be appreciated.

Current build
05 Eglide
98”
37G cams
Stock crank balanced and plugged by Darkhorse
Timken conversion
Heads â€" 03’s @ 9.8 street port w/stock size BD valves (stock 03 springs)
3:37 final drive
D&D Fatcat
Thundermax AT

Thanks,
Rick (Road-King03 on MSN)

tmsimmon

Sound like your bagger is right where it should be... why mess with it?
You buy a couch and want to go fast... save your money and get another bike a used crouch rocket. Then you have comfort and reliability in the Harley and a fast crouch rocket. Just my thinking and my .02... I've been there done that.

Quote from: Eglider05 on November 01, 2008, 06:55:39 AM
Hi guys, I love the look of the new site, and the features look great.
I need a project for the winter and am looking for some advice on juicing up my motor. I use this bike for 2 up touring with my wife 25% of the time but I’m a hot rodder at heart so I want as much as I can get of the current 98” while keeping it streetable. I’m thinking a bump in compression to around 10.1 and some additional head work and a cam change. I also have a 48mm HPI throttle body bought used from a member. Any suggestions on pumping it up will be appreciated.

Current build
05 Eglide
98”
37G cams
Stock crank balanced and plugged by Darkhorse
Timken conversion
Heads â€" 03’s @ 9.8 street port w/stock size BD valves (stock 03 springs)
3:37 final drive
D&D Fatcat
Thundermax AT

Thanks,
Rick (Road-King03 on MSN)

Eglider05

Quote from: tmsimmon on November 02, 2008, 01:51:01 PM
Sound like your bagger is right where it should be... why mess with it?
You buy a couch and want to go fast... save your money and get another bike a used crouch rocket. Then you have comfort and reliability in the Harley and a fast crouch rocket. Just my thinking and my .02... I've been there done that.

Not the advice I was looking for but thanks anyways.

Rick

FLTRI

Rick,
Without a significant investment, the improvements you propose will not add significant power increases but you will be inviting detonation (ping) and higher heat issues, especially in hot weather.

IMO, your winter project should be all about increasing cubic inches, not compression.;D  Build a proper 107" or even 117" and you'll not regret it.
Other than that leave it alone and, if you haven't had one, a really good tune, which can make big differences in smoothness, power, and mileage.
As always, JMHO, Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Eglider05

Quote from: FLTRI on November 02, 2008, 05:36:05 PM
Rick,
Without a significant investment, the improvements you propose will not add significant power increases but you will be inviting detonation (ping) and higher heat issues, especially in hot weather.

IMO, your winter project should be all about increasing cubic inches, not compression.;D  Build a proper 107" or even 117" and you'll not regret it.
Other than that leave it alone and, if you haven't had one, a really good tune, which can make big differences in smoothness, power, and mileage.
As always, JMHO, Bob

I was thinking if nothing else I could have the heads reworked. A visual comparison with mine vs. a set of AMS heads I used on a friends motor makes me think it might be helpful. When I did this build a few years ago I remembered warnings not to use stock exhaust gaskets as they would protrude into the exhaust flow. This was not close to the case with these heads. When I built my friends motor I could see why it would be a problems with his.

Rick

Mike52

HI Rick, I'm going to have to get used to the new nickname.........LOL

You've known me long enough to know what I would suggest.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

se

November 03, 2008, 07:26:04 AM #6 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:42:59 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield

I was thinking if nothing else I could have the heads reworked. A visual comparison with mine vs. a set of AMS heads I used on a friends motor makes me think it might be helpful. When I did this build a few years ago I remembered warnings not to use stock exhaust gaskets as they would protrude into the exhaust flow. This was not close to the case with these heads. When I built my friends motor I could see why it would be a problems with his.

Rick

Rick i sent you a pm over on the other forum
G
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

GoFast.....

November 03, 2008, 09:35:05 PM #7 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:43:27 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Quote from: se on November 03, 2008, 07:26:04 AM

I love pimpin it up, Take the heads off and get them redone for more flow and them get a cam that can get you to 120hp and a TB like a hpi 51 and get it on. LOVE THIS SPELL CHECK

Rick

Rick i sent you a pm over on the other forum
G
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber