May 08, 2024, 01:46:40 AM

News:

windows 8 and TTS

Started by Paul in Alaska, March 04, 2013, 06:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmtrckl

September 05, 2013, 06:35:33 PM #25 Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:07:29 PM by redmtrckl
I'm late on this one.
I just got a new Dell Inspiron 15-3521 laptop running on windows 8 and it will not connect to my black TTS VCI. The mastertune program works as does the Datamaster, online upgrades etc but it won't connect to the bike. I have a new 64bit capable USB to SERIAL cable and drivers and have the latest downloaded Mastertune USB drivers. I have emailed Steve about the issue but have not heard back.
Anybody else have any luck with the Win 8 crap?
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

Funny, I was going to post almost the same issue.  I could not get either Mastertune versions to recognize my black vci with my Windows 8 computer when I tried last weekend.  My Windows 7 works, but the 8 was not working out.  I tried to get every com port to work, and none seemed to even let my try to select them.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

redmtrckl

Same here. Maybe we will hear from Steve. I am going to try the TTS live support thingy tomorrow and see if that will shed any light.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

Hilly13

Works on my Latitude 10 ST2 windows 8 tablet with no dramas, wonder what gives?
Just because its said don't make it so

redmtrckl

Heard from steve cole and he sent me a link for some new drivers. Will download when I get home and see if it works.

Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

let me know how you make out.  :up:

redmtrckl

Got a link and downloaded some new drivers for Win8 but they didn't work on my machine.
Mayor, you have PM with the link.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

yep, downloaded it this morning.  :up:  I haven't tried it yet, but will try this weekend. 

redmtrckl

Any luck with the drivers Mayor? Didn't work for me :crook:
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

redmtrckl

There may be only one fix for mine and that is to replace the OS backwards to Win7 which is a royal PITA or go forward to Win8 Pro or maybe Windows 8.1 next month.
Windows 8 as it sits is the biggest POS I have ever seen. From some of the internet chatter I have read it could well be the demise of MS as far as PC's go.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

Quote from: redmtrckl on September 08, 2013, 08:11:06 AM
Any luck with the drivers Mayor? Didn't work for me :crook:
haven't tried yet....but will make sure I try this afternoon and let you know.  Your results are very troubling to me, since my windows 8 netbook is basically a paperweight if I can't tune mastertune with it.   :emsad:

redmtrckl

BINGO!
It was the usb/serial adapter cable. I tried everything I could find and only one would work. It is made by Sabrent model CB-FTDI.
All of the others, Belkin, radio shack, etc etc did not have the proper driver support for Windows 8.
Install the driver disk first and then connect the cable and let the device manager find the driver it needs.

Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

guess I'll be ordering one of those cables, since mine is still doa.   :emsad:

choseneasy

Is this the same adapter necessary to use sert with windows 8?
My new laptop does not support the old serial cable....sepst was all I had used on it with the USB, went to plug in a sert and  :angry: .

redmtrckl

Talking to steve cole via messaging it seems this cable uses the same chipset and drivers that the tts cable does. There is the option of ordering a cable directly from mastertune. Afaik these are the only 2 out there that will currently work with win8.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

redmtrckl

Quote from: choseneasy on September 09, 2013, 05:03:37 AM
Is this the same adapter necessary to use sert with windows 8?
My new laptop does not support the old serial cable....sepst was all I had used on it with the USB, went to plug in a sert and  :angry: .

That would be my guess. I have the SERT software as well as most of the other tuning software but have not had the opportunity to try and link to any bike with those tuners.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

choseneasy

I'll give it a try, thanks Red.

redmtrckl

If you don't already have that cable, I would just get one from Mastertune and that way know that it will work since SERT and TTS are related.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

redmtrckl

Did a 100 mile V-tune run this morning with the new laptop and windows 8. Everything worked as it should. Computer did not shut down and collected a good constant stream of data. Windows 8 is still a POS for the kind of stuff we do.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

Quote from: redmtrckl on September 09, 2013, 05:39:45 AM
Talking to steve cole via messaging it seems this cable uses the same chipset and drivers that the tts cable does. There is the option of ordering a cable directly from mastertune. Afaik these are the only 2 out there that will currently work with win8.
I bought my cable through Mastertune, so does that mean I should be able to get mine to work with the addition of some new drivers? 

redmtrckl

Quote from: mayor on September 10, 2013, 11:08:20 AM
Quote from: redmtrckl on September 09, 2013, 05:39:45 AM
I bought my cable through Mastertune, so does that mean I should be able to get mine to work with the addition of some new drivers? 
Yep. just install the drivers that Steve sent the link on.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

It will be the 2.08.30 file
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

I tried that, didn't seem to work.   :scratch:  I'll try it again this evening if i get a chance. 

mayor

Quote from: redmtrckl on September 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM
BINGO!
It was the usb/serial adapter cable. I tried everything I could find and only one would work. It is made by Sabrent model CB-FTDI.
All of the others, Belkin, radio shack, etc etc did not have the proper driver support for Windows 8.
Install the driver disk first and then connect the cable and let the device manager find the driver it needs.
this worked for me as well.   :up:  I bought a new Sabrent serial cable from Amazon, and the drivers were installed as soon as I plugged it into my Windows 8 netbook.  I was then able to flash my bike with the TTS HD04 (black).  Funny thing was I was able to with my other (original) Sabrent cable afterward, so I could have probably saved the $15 if I would have just went to the Sabrent website and looked for the W 8 drivers.   :embarrassed:

I think my home PC (XP) just died, so I guess I'll be forced to use the windows 8 more now.   :emoGroan:  I found some old stock new Window 7 PC's for sale, but they are selling for a premium now. 

redmtrckl

For some strange reason and even though I didn't/don't like the Win 8 platform, the operating system is much faster than the old Vista/XP versions. After I added the Start button app I can use Win8 just like the old OS. My new LT collects data much faster than the old one. Maybe a combination of both new computer, OS and latest TTS software updates.
You can download the Start menu add on from here for free http://www.classicshell.net/
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

mayor

thank you Steve.   :up:  That button makes a world of difference.  I added it to my new PC, and will be adding it to my w8 netbook when I fire it up again.