April 27, 2024, 02:37:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

97Sporty- Pinging, Run On, and a Chirp

Started by Caper, February 12, 2009, 03:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caper

A bud had a bone stock '97 Sporty that pings pulling away from a stoplight unless the revs are up, sometimes  has run on when shutting it down and there is a chirp that seems to be coming from the front jug when shifting from 4th to 5th.
Any ideas what's going on with his bike??
     Any and all suggestions welcome.   Thanks.

Panzer

February 12, 2009, 06:52:23 AM #1 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:56:48 AM by Panzer
Caper,
Just a shot in the dark............what octane fuel is he using.
Ping usually comes from low octane.
The chirp?   Have an exhaust leak in the front jug?    But only in 4th to 5th...I'm stumped.
Run on after shutting it down is 98% of the time carbon build up in the heads.
After you shut it down, the carbon in the head is still glowing, enough to act like a spark plug and keeps igniting the fuel.
That could also cause the pinging you mention.
Some on HTT, say that if you spray water (via a spray bottle) into the intake, the vaporizing water in the heads will loosen the carbon and blow it out the exhaust.
If you try that, rev it about 1/4 throttle, because the water will try to kill the engine, then it will pick up again.
I don't know about that water thing, I never tried it, I'm just saying.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fulldress79

I had a similar ping on 90 1200 xlh. Went up a jet size on low speed jet,(went up on high speed too,but that was for aircleaner and muffler change)also took out factory plug on carb and made a low speed needle adjustment.Pinging went away on acceleration. They are very lean from factory.

Panzer

But why is it just starting now, when it's been ok ( I assume) up till now?
Take my word for it, over run is caused by a build up of carbon.
Another way to clear out the carbon is to rev it up (on the road, but not red line it) in first, second & third gear.   Again, don't red line it in those gears.
If that works, you'll see all kinds of black smoke coming out the exhaust.
Good luck.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Caper

Panzer thats what I was thinking too. He runs 91 octane . I was thinking heavy carbon build up for the run on almost for sure and  I was thinking if the carbon build up was excessive it could raise the compression in the combustion chamber enuf to cause the pinging. the chirp between 4th and 5th got me stumped too. i don't know the guy or the bike well and he lives on the other side of the country.
He bought the bike about a year ago and says its been doing it since he got it.
  Thanks for the replies so far .....any more ideas welcome.

rat097

Has anyone moved your ignition timing , that would cause pinging and run on , dony know about the chirp though .

Caper

No, timing was on, he checked the timing and the line was centered, but when I suggested to check the VOES hose and ground wire, he doesn't seem to be able to find it.What he did find was a line off the back of the carb with a little bolt in it and silicone plugging it off.

Panzer

Caper, is this a used bike we're talking about.
If it's his (original owner) who plugged the hose?
Starting to be a guessing game.

Panzer

Caper

Yeah its used... he got it about a year ago and it's been like this since he got it. It was the previous owner plugged the hose.

fulldress79

if the VOES is missing,maybe THATS why the ping,seeing it controls the timing....

Caper

Quote from: fulldress79 on February 20, 2009, 01:29:03 PM
if the VOES is missing,maybe THATS why the ping,seeing it controls the timing....

Yep...and if the 1st owner took the VOES off what else did he do?? I think the next move after installing a new VOES, will be to check the jetting to make sure it's still stock,if not prolly too rich and carbon build up causing run on. This bike is supposed to be bone stock.
Could an exhaust leak at the head cause the chirp??