May 08, 2024, 01:57:37 PM

News:

Trailer Lighting Headache

Started by War Horse, March 20, 2013, 05:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

I've had one of those splitters for converting to the 2 light trailer set up from the bike and notice the other day that when one turn signal blinks, the other side does also but a bit dimmer.

The unit I had was a old U-Haul unit and figured it was bad due to some swelling of the case, bought a new universal one and the same thing happens with that one. I did check the new one with a test light and it reacts the same.

Now the new unit has a wiring harness that unplugs from it (going to the trailer) and when checked at the unit directly it functions correct, but once plugged in does the same dance at the end of the plug (without trailer connected).

So what am I missing here ? Has anyone run into this before  :scratch:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

kik

So your saying that if your harness is not plugged into the trailer, it works fine when you test it, but when you plug into the trailer then you're getting some cross signal through the wiring? If that's the case then you either have wires touching making contact somewhere or you don't have a good ground, and I'd put my money on the ground.

War Horse

March 20, 2013, 07:27:10 AM #2 Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:54:25 AM by War Horse
Kik, it doesnt need to be plugged into the trailer and will do it at the end of the plug with a test light. This is all new wiring going to the rear.

The converter unit has a good tight clean new ground. I'm wondering if maybe the stock TS unit may be a problem with ground as its mounted in the front end (fairing).

This might be, because the cigarette light knocks the voltage gauge down by almost 2 volts when in use. Thing is the lighter has always been so, and I have a seperate ground runing from the frame to the front end.

Edit; I might have mentioned that this doesnt happen to the turn signals on the bike, wether the trailer is hooked up or not.

kik

You say the trailer doesn't need to be plugged into the plug to do it and the signals on the bike work fine and you also have a very good ground. I'm wondering if the power wire might be partially broken inside the plastic covering and it's trying to pull too much power through too few stranded wires. Is it possible to run a new power wire from the TS module to the plug end as a test without cutting into the main wires?

War Horse

Do you mean the stock TS module, or the power to the converter module ? 

kik

Quote from: War Horse on March 20, 2013, 12:02:34 PM
Do you mean the stock TS module, or the power to the converter module ? 

I was talking about the Power converter that goes to the TS module. I assume by you saying 2 light system that you're running the a 5 to 4 wire converter?? Maybe a bad connection in the molded plug? Or maybe you got the ground crossed? Here's a link to a you Tube video that might help you see if you crossed a wire or maybe you didn't get a good connection on some spliced wire and it's trying to draw too much power?

How to Install a Harley Trailer Wiring Harness 

bigfoot5x

I've had this on boat trailers hooked up to my truck. I could never find the problem to determine whether it was a bad connection on the positive side or a bad ground.  The easiest solution I have ever found is to rewire the trailer. All new wiring used to be only $25 or so. Always fixed it for me.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: bigfoot5x on March 21, 2013, 06:19:26 AM
I've had this on boat trailers hooked up to my truck. I could never find the problem to determine whether it was a bad connection on the positive side or a bad ground.  The easiest solution I have ever found is to rewire the trailer. All new wiring used to be only $25 or so. Always fixed it for me.

The biggest problem with boat trailers is the ground. Some trailers have connected frame sections that are connected by nuts and bolts not welded. So when the lights are grounded to the trailer vs the wire harness ground wire there is a bad ground when the bolted areas become rusted or oxidized. Seen it many times.

Many times it is the connector pins themselves have oxidized badly and just dont make good contact with the mating connector......

I can't answer the original posters issue but wanted to throw my 2 cents general trailer wiring....
Member since 2004

War Horse

Kik, good video, I think I see what my problem may be. The 2 converter units I have, arent powered and rely only on the bikes system  function wires. Smitty brought up this point on OFOPOS also, as he runs a powered unit on his bike.I'll get with this Open road outfitters  and check on a unit from them.

When I used to do trike conversions, the trailer wiring was already installed in the bodies and it was a plug and play deal. I never paid attention to what was installed in the bodies from the factory.  :embarrassed:

@ Bigfoot5x and KGHOST , thanks guys, but my problem is at the bike plug even with the trailer disconnected. Everything works fine in front of the converter, but goes to crap on the output side.