April 27, 2024, 03:47:44 PM

News:

Cams / Lifters

Started by 76shuvlinoff, March 22, 2013, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

March 22, 2013, 05:20:49 PM Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:33:01 PM by 76shuvlinoff
I copied this off the "C" cam thread to avoid further hijacking it. Not sure how it'll come out with copy and paste.
I saw a lot of comments in that thread on hydro vs solid lifters for various cams. I have the lifters and blocks that came with my Jims top end oiling kit in 2004. On those hydros I have run an S&S 560, Andrews B, Leineweber L3S and I just installed the Andrews 7 Ohio HD showed me below. I have yet to road test that one.

I like the mill without the oil lines, that's why I went with the Jims top end oiling from day one on this S&S 93"er. My question is what am I missing (or losing) by running the hydros?

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 22, 2013, 04:06:44 PM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 22, 2013, 03:36:43 PM
That's pretty much the same thing I'm looking for out of my 93 John. You are going to love your new 98.

I gotta get out with this Andrews #7 one of these days. Got a ton of stuff to do Saturday and out of town Sunday, (looks like snow Sunday anyhow) but I will be rolling up my tarps "winter" walls on my work area this weekend and at least get a path cleared toward the barn door.

I think you'll like the cam a lot. As I said I never ran the #7, but ran a bunch of the #6 cams. The #6 is kind of a runs really good in any larger motor cam. The #7 is supposed to be a little better lower down. Look at the cam comparison, what they did was advance the cam 3 degrees to get a lower start in the RPM range, and narrowed the overlap to give more mid range, and dropped the duration a bit. It should pull great.

[attach=0]

- Mark

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

I'm never used Jim's hydraulics, when I wanted to run hydraulics with hot cams in Shovels I always opted for Velva Touch lifters. They're pretty much bullet proof, and kept the valve train quite with large cams, namely Leinwebers. If the Jim's lifters work as they should, you're not loosing anything, except noise from the solid lifters. The only way I;d use a solid lifter in these days would be with a really high RPM race motor with really heavy valve springs.

76shuvlinoff

March 23, 2013, 03:29:51 AM #2 Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:38:19 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Thanks Ohio,
Over the last few years I have heard some negatives on the Jims stuff. As far as I know the Jims top end oiling kit in my mill, (blocks, tappets, push rods and roller tip rockers) has been issue free even with the taller cams. Of course now I just jinxed it real good.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

One of the VERY FEW products we use from that outfit( :angry:) is those lifters.
Even have a set in my old '67.
We've used them since their conception, but prior to that, on the big-cam Shovel builds, we would use the the Vern Ott stuff.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Ohio HD

Sorta a side note, Scott I was buying the Velva Touch from Vern out of Marion Ohio back in the day too. I know that somewhere along the way he sold them to a guy in Maryland. I only personally worked on one bike that has had these lifters from the new owner. These were in an older Evo, they wanted to convert to the lower style Shovel lifter blocks, and wanted good lifters, so he bought them.

He had an issue with one lifter that wouldn't pump up. They replaced one complete lifter block and lifters, the front I think. Now I know that he also had an old lifter roller explode, and ran crap around the motor, and this is possibly what fowled the new lifter, but they still replaced them. I ended up working on the bike last year to repair the pump that was also damaged from the explosion, and clean the motor out.

Scott I was just wondering if you've used Velva Touch since Vern sold them, and have you had any different experiences? One thing I never understood, why no one uses his lifters in a Twin Cam? David (new owner) has told me he doesn't keep lifters for Twin Cams ready to go, but will make them up on request, order of 3 sets minimum. I would think they would be outstanding, and have been tempted to order the 3 sets to find out.

Hillside Motorcycle

Have not used the VMO lifters since that company was sold.
BTW, Sumax and us, discussed the idea of buying that at one time.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Ohio HD

Dang man, I would have bought me some HSC lifters.  :teeth:

I always assumed his company, was VMO for "Vern - Marion - Ohio".  :idunno:

79FLH

Hey 76, Hope you're feelin better...  I really enjoyed watchin everybody get some mileage out of that cam swap thread..  Hi-jackin is OK in my book !!  I'm runnin Jims solids in my 93".  It had the solids when I bought it, but from what I remember of bikes from the past,  The only real difference I can tell is that I never hear the solids...   
    Still snowing here :banghead:  WTF ???  I know it's Spring because I saw a Robin.....
Ride it like ya stole it !!

76shuvlinoff

Yep 79, and thanks for asking. I have been outside all morning, I got tired too quick but it's good to be moving again.  Yard work, leaned out my work area, put the bags and seats back on the bike, put it on the battery tender. Still need to clean it up from fingerprints and winter dust but the next decent day I should be out for a test run to check my jetting. That reminds me, I should pick up a new set of plugs.

Seen a few Robins but the woodchuck lies.

- Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Feeling better.   That's good.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

stroker800

Crane was the company that bought VMO Velva Touch,,,quality turned to sh*t...Now Dave from BMO owns the rites and sell quality velva touch once again,,,Evo conversion great for shovels and pans,,,All new S&S shovels and pans run evo cam and oiling....I will not purchase Jims stuff any more,,,seeing too much "chiwaneese" bearings and his ads bout buying USA made parts...
Dave

76shuvlinoff

Googled up Velva Touch and found a set up with blocks for shovel cam with evo oiling which is how my mill is set up. Looks like about $700 for the set.. ouch.  Might be something to think about for next winter though.
 - Ernest Hemingway

shovelbill

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 25, 2013, 05:52:39 PM
Googled up Velva Touch and found a set up with blocks for shovel cam with evo oiling which is how my mill is set up. Looks like about $700 for the set.. ouch.  Might be something to think about for next winter though.

Dave don't charge enough for what you get. and his service is second to none. .........the time he spends just PACKAGING the stuff is unreal.

Quality went to "Potty mouth" with Crane because they didn't use the vendors that Vern insisted they use........he got it back and Dave bought it.

i'm sending ya a PM
build it, bust it.....figure out why

billbuilds

It wasn't Crane that bought and boogered VelvaTouch it was Competition Cams. Dave has some pretty decent deals on his superior quality stuff eBay. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

shovelbill

Quote from: billbuilds on March 25, 2013, 10:26:30 PM
     It wasn't Crane that bought and boogered VelvaTouch it was Competition Cams. Dave has some pretty decent deals on his superior quality stuff eBay. Bill

thanks Bill for the correction......i saw Crane mentioned and just played the telephone game, guilty.....it began with a C................Comp still sells the same pushrods too.......and they're good.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

stroker800

My mistake with Crane,,,My stuff from Dave BMO is great..tech help great,,blem sales are great(my chrome looks 1st rate)..Keep an eye out for his sales,,,he an outstanding member of Shovelhead USA...
Dave

76shuvlinoff

I went to the BMO site tonight, entered my info and questions about lifters for shovel cam and evo oiling. Within couple hours Dave called my cell. I gotta say the guy is the real deal and great to talk to we BS'd for quite a while.
Dave really recommended I go with a set-up for evo cam, (for the huge selection available) and evo oiling. I can't argue that but have not even road tested the Andrews 7 yet and I gotsta know how it's going to run before I do more changing.

Thanks guys for hooking me up with Dave. I am sure we're gonna do some business a bit more down the road.

- Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Mark, I did run the Shovel Velva Touch on a couple of #6 Andrews cams, they were seriously quite. I would imagion if you go that route later with the #7, you should have the same results.