April 27, 2024, 10:00:44 AM

News:

throw out conversion kit

Started by buzzurd, February 13, 2009, 08:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzurd

Got the large throw out bearing conversion kit for the udder halfs 83 FXSB,Unfortunately no installation instructions.Can I get alittle help please?
Buzzurd

Hybredhog

Are you refurring to the pre- '75 large tappered bearing, or just a little larger waffer bearing. The larger waffer bearing gets stacked onto the pushrod in this order, slinger on slotted edges, thrust washer, inner brass washer with bearing, 2nd thrust washer, clip.
   If your dealing with the large pre '75 bearing (Very Heavy Duty & $$), rest it on the pushrod with the outer gap alliened with the clutch fork & load your kick start gear (if you have a kicker). some aftermarket covers have to much metal in the casting in that area, for the early bearing, so they may need clearancing...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

buzzurd

Thanks Jeff....it's the big a** bearing.I haven't opened the package yet but there is a small gear with the kit.This bike does have a factory kicker.Just wonder if I can go back to an earlier year model manual and figure out the installation.
Buzzurd

FSG

This is all I can find http://www.box.net/shared/73xduj139p unless you can give me another number or info to chase.

dave_9113

Quote from: buzzurd on February 13, 2009, 01:05:16 PM
Thanks Jeff....it's the big a** bearing.I haven't opened the package yet but there is a small gear with the kit.This bike does have a factory kicker.Just wonder if I can go back to an earlier year model manual and figure out the installation.
Buzzurd

I think you are talking about the large old style (indestructable) bearing.  The kit only came with the bearing and clutch gear?  If so, you will probably need a new clutch push rod.  Be careful, there are three size of push rods.  Make sure you get one right for you.  You'll have to pull off the old cluth gear and put the new one on.  The new clutch gear has a little recessed ball on it.  A little heat is needed to pull the old one off.  Now the best way to put this new bearing on is first, put the bearing in your kicker cover, holding it up like a bowl.  Put your clutch rod in the bearing hole then guide the "assembly" into the transmission.  It's very hard to line up the clutch rod and bearing if you don't do that.   

Does your new kit look like this: http://www.debrix.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=1536476

If not, then follow SirGarfield clutch release bearing conversion sheet instruction. Good luck.

dave

buzzurd

Yeah Dave...that's the kit.So follow your instructions.
Thanks