May 02, 2024, 02:33:49 AM

News:

Andrews EV13

Started by Ron W., February 13, 2009, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardonthemerch

Man.... Don't get too caught up in it... - I'm assuming when you say milled to 10:1, that probably means stock pistons and the heads were cut .050" - very common recipe for evo's

I don't believe that goes all the way to 10:1, but close. -

Buy the EV-27, and you'll be HAPPY - I can't say how much difference you'll notice, because we don't know for sure what you have now - But... putting the EV-27 in is a safe and succeful plan.

Grumpy : (

I might be later getting in on this, but...

I've run both the EV27 and the EV13.  The 27 has more low end than the 13.  It seems to kick in at about 3000 rpms and you hit 5500 REAL Quick.  The 27 pulls from down low and a fully loaded 86 FXRD, I could pop the front wheel in second without trying hard.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

hotbo

Quote from: hardonthemerch on February 18, 2009, 08:23:57 AM
Man.... Don't get too caught up in it... - I'm assuming when you say milled to 10:1, that probably means stock pistons and the heads were cut .050" - very common recipe for evo's

Buy the EV-27, and you'll be HAPPY - I can't say how much difference you'll notice, because we don't know for sure what you have now - But... putting the EV-27 in is a safe and succeful plan.

the cylinders were bored 2nd over with new s/e flat tops then the heads were cc by sbc and cut to achieve the 10-1 yes it might be 9.9 or 9.8 :idea:the only true way to have a exact comp.ratio is zero deck with everything else correct. :wink:

as far as buying the ev27 and being happy yes you will be if thats all you want,but not as happy as the woods6 :rtfb:it will kick the dog crap outta that 27 from the bottom to the top all day everyday. :duel:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

apendejo

February 19, 2009, 04:28:28 PM #28 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:30:22 PM by apendejo
 What, no love for the Crane 300-2b?
AP
Ah, just re-read the original post, 10.1, I don't think so.
AP

fxr4mikey

Quote from: hotbo on February 19, 2009, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: hardonthemerch on February 18, 2009, 08:23:57 AM

the cylinders were bored 2nd over with new s/e flat tops then the heads were cc by sbc and cut to achieve the 10-1 yes it might be 9.9 or 9.8 :idea:the only true way to have a exact comp.ratio is zero deck with everything else correct. :wink:

as far as buying the ev27 and being happy yes you will be if thats all you want,but not as happy as the woods6 :rtfb:it will kick the dog crap outta that 27 from the bottom to the top all day everyday. :duel:

since I'm putting the w6 in my build ............  I'm always VERY HAPPY to hear this   :D
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

ClassicRider2002

February 21, 2009, 08:25:08 AM #30 Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:26:58 AM by ClassicRider2002
as far as buying the ev27 and being happy yes you will be if thats all you want, but not as happy as the woods6 as it will kick the dog crap outta that 27 from the bottom to the top all day everyday.

yeah....yeah.....yeah.....blah.....blah.....blah..... LOL

:gob:

Don't worry Mikey.....it's purely anecdotal evidence....the empirical evidence.....awaits.....back to your build.....lol

:duel:

Seriously I have no "dog" in this race.....lol EV27 vs W6......but let's see I know REDFXR2 has his bike set up with a EV27 pretty darn close to the way yours is going to be set up.....I AM CALLIN FOR A SHOOT OUT......I GET THE LOOSERS BIKE.....<~~~~it's only fair....it's my idea.... :hyst:

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

elvislee

Quote from: Black Diamond on February 16, 2009, 11:41:17 AM
Hey Scoot.
Great info here on the evos and FXRs.
I've talked with my builder in Danville plus Scott from Hillside as well as Bob Wood. I'm going with the W6 as I know I will end up doing more to the motor as time goes on. The W6 will grow with the mods were the EV27 is best with a stock or mostly stock 80".
I have a brand new EV27 if anyones interested.sold

I saw Blaine's over here too. JW

Don't have anything to add to the tech stuff but sure will give a "Shoutout" to Jeff  :up: Looking forward to maybe you posting your build info over here if you have the time. With that said; I sneak in every now and then and your bike is gonna look awful damn good when your finished  :up:

Black Diamond

Quote from: elvislee on February 21, 2009, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: Black Diamond on February 16, 2009, 11:41:17 AM
Hey Scoot.
Great info here on the evos and FXRs.
I've talked with my builder in Danville plus Scott from Hillside as well as Bob Wood. I'm going with the W6 as I know I will end up doing more to the motor as time goes on. The W6 will grow with the mods were the EV27 is best with a stock or mostly stock 80".
I have a brand new EV27 if anyones interested.sold

I saw Blaine's over here too. JW

Don't have anything to add to the tech stuff but sure will give a "Shoutout" to Jeff  :up: Looking forward to maybe you posting your build info over here if you have the time. With that said; I sneak in every now and then and your bike is gonna look awful damn good when your finished  :up:

Hi Blaine

I'll try to get er done. Maybe Monday. Thanks for the Shoutout. I'm getting anxious to see her done!

JW

fxr4mikey

Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 21, 2009, 08:25:08 AM
as far as buying the ev27 and being happy yes you will be if thats all you want, but not as happy as the woods6 as it will kick the dog crap outta that 27 from the bottom to the top all day everyday.

yeah....yeah.....yeah.....blah.....blah.....blah..... LOL

:gob:

Don't worry Mikey.....it's purely anecdotal evidence....the empirical evidence.....awaits.....back to your build.....lol

Seriously I have no "dog" in this race.....lol EV27 vs W6......but let's see I know REDFXR2 has his bike set up with a EV27 pretty darn close to the way yours is going to be set up.....I AM CALLIN FOR A SHOOT OUT......I GET THE LOOSERS BIKE.....<~~~~it's only fair....it's my idea.... :hyst:

I like the shoot out idea !!  I hope your going to enjoy having Redfxr2's bike  :D
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

ClassicRider2002

geeez the poor guy doesn't even know what he's got himself into.....lol....

:potstir:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Buddy WMC

February 22, 2009, 01:09:08 PM #35 Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:14:59 PM by Buddy WMC
Tim,
I'll do a shoot out with em, but it would not be fair got more cam tho :teeth:!

hotbo

Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 22, 2009, 12:29:45 PM
geeez the poor guy doesn't even know what he's got himself into.....lol....

:potstir:

Regards,

"Classic"

lmao   there is no doubt that the 27 cam is a good bolt-in cam and with a few mods is even better. :up: same goes for the woods6 but at the end of the day the woods6 will rain supreme seen it to many times.travis  :potstir:

98flstc

Call me crazy but I just pulled my EV-27 and replaced it with the W6.  I have yet to ride the bike (-1 this a.m. in minny) but I can tell a difference at idle. Once things warm up around here I'll report my findings.
98'

hotbo

Quote from: 98flstc on February 23, 2009, 09:09:04 AM
Call me crazy but I just pulled my EV-27 and replaced it with the W6.  I have yet to ride the bike (-1 this a.m. in minny) but I can tell a difference at idle. Once things warm up around here I'll report my findings.

:soda:  :up:

Ron W.

After talking with Bobby Woods on friday I'll be ordering a w6 cam and will update everyone when I'm up and running. Might be awhile cause I'm doing some other stuff, too.
Ron

fxr4mikey

Quote from: 98flstc on February 23, 2009, 09:09:04 AM

what kind of difference ??
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

ClassicRider2002

98flstc~~

Before I admit that you are crazy..... :hyst:  tell us about the "rest" of your build if you would please?

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

98flstc

Classic,

My build consists of the following.
80" evo
SE heads
.030 head gaskets
W6 cam
Crane Hi 4
CV carb 48 slow 190 main
V&H Big shots staggered
3.13 gearing

Over the winter I found a that a lifter was going bad so I replaced all of them and also swapped out the ev-27 for the W6. I really went back and forth about what I could possibly gain (if anything) by going with the W6 but after I spoke with Bobby Woods over the phone I decided to pull the trigger. He really promotes the W6H but I was not ready to spend the $$$$ for roller rockers and did not care for the idea of grinding in the cam chest to provide clearance for the lobes.
98'

ClassicRider2002

February 24, 2009, 07:18:34 AM #43 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:34:05 AM by ClassicRider2002
98flstc,

Thanks for sharing......

Which I would assume means your bike is also a 1998 Heritage Softail Classic that you have done this build to?,

"......Bobby Woods really promotes the W6H but I was not ready to spend the $$$$ for roller rockers and did not care for the idea of grinding in the cam chest to provide clearance for the lobes........"

Oh I see there is a difference between the W6 and the W6H at least in terms of physical characteristics so to actually use the W6H you would have had to have done the following above.......so what's the difference between the both of them....in terms of the cam design/features peformance wise that he apparently likes....besides having to do the two things above which I agree wouldn't be something I would particularily care to perform either........? ? ?

and by the way, you mentioned you haven't been able to actually ride since making the modification yet....actually you will be a great source of comparison for others since you have run the EV27 and changing to the W6....so while you are anticipating the riding experience with the new W6 and can remember what the old EV27 felt like, reading what you feel the EV27 did for your riding experience both positvely and perhaps where it lacked and why you decided to make the switch would be interesting to read....if you wouldn't mind sharing......afterall you are looking for something you felt the EV27 was lacking.....how do you believe  the W6 will alter that experience?

a) but how would you describe the experience of the EV27 in terms of your riding style.....

b)and what is your riding style....ie: where do you actually take the RPMS to with normal riding....
c) are you riding at elevation or sea level, are you riding interstate highways most of the time or county roads,
d) what's your riding enviornment like.....always flat land from state line to state line....or mountains....
e) One other thing.....what's the weight of that bike, and yourself, and passenger......

All simply curious questions.....your sharing of the information above may help someone else contemplating a change just like yourself......

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

98flstc

February 24, 2009, 07:29:55 AM #44 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:40:15 AM by 98flstc
Classic,

Yes its a 1998 Heritage. 

I think the W6H has a .590" lift vs. the .495" for the W6.

My riding style is 50/50 solo/2up. And most of it is at highway speeds 55-60 rolling hills etc. When I bought the bike is had stock heads with  an EV-23. I took the suggestion from a local indy of going with an EV-27 and the SE heads but had some detonation issues during 5th gear roll ons but for the most part was able  to tune out with the  HI-4. But with the 2.92 gearing it still at times was a problem. I'm hoping with the gearing change that maybe...maybe that will be gone for good. Then I discovered the lifter.cam problem this winter so I decided to give the W6 a try.

MIKEY, the idle seems more aggresive, not choppy or rough just "aggresive" Its hard to describe.   I also feel that its more responsive when I whack the throttle.

I dunno maybe its all in my head. Its been a longggggggg winter..

98'

ClassicRider2002

98flstc...

By the way what's the valve spring pressure with the SE heads?  Did you ponder or think about changing the springs to lighter ones since your application is below a 500 lift?

Which might be more condusive to your set up.....others here would have far greater information or response to this topic over myself.....Isn't the "OEM" valve spring pressure around 185lbs and with a 500 lift having valve spring pressure of 155 might be more appropriate?  I am curious about this myself....so that's why I am askin.....what people are doin.....don't mean for this to turn into a "valve spring discussion" but perhaps yourself or anyone for that matter may have some quick insight on this.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

98flstc

February 24, 2009, 07:59:12 AM #46 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:05:30 AM by 98flstc
Classic,

I happen to have a copy of the SE parts books handy. For the 1340 SE heads spring kit 18209-06 is used.

150 lbs at the install height of 1.800"

.520 max. lift

Spring force at max. lift is 370 lbs

Double wound spring rated up to 6000 rpm

Suggested SE cams are the 203,204,211 (wtf? aren't these twinkie cams?)

I would also like to learn more about how spring pressure effects perfomance pro's/cons etc..
98'

Black Diamond

Quote from: 98flstc on February 24, 2009, 07:29:55 AM
Classic,

Yes its a 1998 Heritage. 

I think the W6H has a .590" lift vs. the .495" for the W6.

I believe the W6 has 0.510 lift. The EV27 has 0.495. I will be very interested in hearing your take on the differences of the two cams. I'm going with the W6 also.

JW

ClassicRider2002

98flstc~~

:gob:   <~~~~~lol

You have more questions to answer from above.....get busy......(teasin)  and try to use compound sentences.....(also teasin)

Regards,

"Classic"

thanks for the input you presented about the "SE" springs.....you posted above..... :up:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Jeff~~~

your build is coming along nicely...... :up:

Now back to waiting for 98flstc to answer....and getting this "THREAD" back on track.....lol

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2