May 02, 2024, 01:28:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Andrews EV13

Started by Ron W., February 13, 2009, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98flstc

Classic,

I do a much better job of creating questions that answering them!  And I aint never had much use for sentance structure.  :smiled:

I stand corrected on the lift question.

ev13 .485 .495
ev23 .498 .498
ev27 .495 .495
W6   .510 .510

98'

hotbo

not only does the w6 have 510lift vs 495 which is not alot of difference in my book.its all in the cam timing that makes the difference.look at the specs especially the lobe sep and centerline differences. :wink:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Buddy WMC

I'll just stir the pot a little with the following, perhaps wfolarry and/or John S can chime in. When Larry ported and set up my SE heads we removed the stock factory spring setup. This is due to the factory springs/retainers having a known tendency to knock the valve stem seals off. Rather than to risk a possible problem with my .585 lift V-Thunder cam and on Larry's advice, we replaced the factory springs with the V-Thunder B-Hives and Cometic Viton Seals.

Prior research revealed that the B-Hive springs are progressive in nature and are very valve train friendly. In other words, the spring becomes firmer when the lift gets higher. They are very popular amongst the Chevrolet drag racing community for this very reason and have been so for several years. They were also used by Chevrolet on the factory built high performance 350 Camaro and Corvette engines.

I can see no reason why anyone could not benefit from replacing worn stock or aftermarket springs with the newer technology B-Hive style spring. No matter what the valve lift is and as long as the spring is properly setup for the intended application, this should be nice upgrade at about $100.00 or so a set. Although my rev limiter is set at 6K, I have not found the need to hit it yet. I'm not a V-Thunder salesman, but their products I have used in my engine have been top notch and work well.

hotbo

i have used there springs and pushrods and i run comp cams in all our drag boat mills and automobiles i like comp cams.but i have used a few of there grinds in motorcycle mills the 3040 and 3030 and they sucked ass imo. :potstir: but i have not used any other grinds.i agree with the springs they are the most overlooked performance upgrade you can have.travis :wink:

Buddy WMC

Travis,

I'm running the EVL-5015 at 85" with the ported SE heads. After nine Dyno pulls and the required adjustments, she is at 98.6 HP and 95.3 ft lbs of torque. That's with a not so hot Samson staggered dual exhaust system. With a 2 into 1 like a Thunderheader if I can find one that will fit a 93 FXR, there is more to be had.

hotbo

Quote from: Buddy WMC on February 25, 2009, 10:01:14 AM
Travis,

I'm running the EVL-5015 at 85" with the ported SE heads. After nine Dyno pulls and the required adjustments, she is at 98.6 HP and 95.3 ft lbs of torque. That's with a not so hot Samson staggered dual exhaust system. With a 2 into 1 like a Thunderheader if I can find one that will fit a 93 FXR, there is more to be had.

excellent results.we all run t-headers,my wife has a 90 fxr with 1 on it.my ole mans 94 fxr has 1 on it to. :teeth:

like i said those were the only to i played with.seems to be better grinds according to your bike  :wink:

fxr4mikey

Quote from: 98flstc on February 24, 2009, 05:56:35 AM
Classic,

My build consists of the following.
80" evo
SE heads
.030 head gaskets
W6 cam
Crane Hi 4
CV carb 48 slow 190 main
V&H Big shots staggered
3.13 gearing

wow, that build is ALMOST EGGZACTLY like mine  :-O

Over the winter I found a that a lifter was going bad so I replaced all of them and also swapped out the ev-27 for the W6. I really went back and forth about what I could possibly gain (if anything) by going with the W6 but after I spoke with Bobby Woods over the phone I decided to pull the trigger. He really promotes the W6H but I was not ready to spend the $$$$ for roller rockers and did not care for the idea of grinding in the cam chest to provide clearance for the lobes.

I'm really anxious to hear your report once you get a chance to take a good ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

fxr4mikey

Quote from: 98flstc on February 24, 2009, 07:29:55 AM
Classic,

Yes its a 1998 Heritage. 

I think the W6H has a .590" lift vs. the .495" for the W6.

98flstc - if I'm not mistaken, the lift on the W6 is .510 and the W6H (H=high lift) is as you stated at .590 and require HI-LIFT Springs in the heads. The W6 will run using stock springs.
There's several mods that have to be taken into consideration if/when chosing to install any of the high lift cams.  MORE MONEY !!  yup, more power, more pining, etc, need to run high octane fuel ... blah blah blah.
The timing and duration and overlap of the w6 and w6h are exactly the same, only difference is the lift.

My riding style is 50/50 solo/2up. And most of it is at highway speeds 55-60 rolling hills etc. When I bought the bike is had stock heads with  an EV-23. I took the suggestion from a local indy of going with an EV-27 and the SE heads but had some detonation issues during 5th gear roll ons but for the most part was able  to tune out with the  HI-4. But with the 2.92 gearing it still at times was a problem. I'm hoping with the gearing change that maybe...maybe that will be gone for good. Then I discovered the lifter.cam problem this winter so I decided to give the W6 a try.

MIKEY, the idle seems more aggresive, not choppy or rough just "aggresive" Its hard to describe.   I also feel that its more responsive when I whack the throttle.
Now I think I'm gonna LIKE that on my bike  :D ..... I like whacking the throttle !!!!!!!!!!

I dunno maybe its all in my head. Its been a longggggggg winter..
I'm SURE it is NOT just in your head ..... I know guys running this cam, with SE heads, V&H straight shots and they say, the cam really rocks   !

80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

fxr4mikey

February 28, 2009, 08:27:59 AM #58 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:57:57 AM by fxr4mikey
Quote from: ClassicRider2002 on February 24, 2009, 07:39:31 AM
98flstc...

By the way what's the valve spring pressure with the SE heads? 

Tim - the valve spring set in the SE heads are 'adjustable', using shim stock.  They come, out of the box, installed spring height of 1.800 inches, which equals 155 lbs of seat pressure. The seat pressure can be changed by placing shims (18224-98 (.015 in) or 18225-98 (.030 in) under the lower spring collars.
Every .015 in reduction in the spring height equals 5 lbs MORE of seat pressure.  If you wanted to, you could max out the the seat pressure by decreasing the spring height by a max. of .075 inches.  Considering that they come setup at 1.800, you'd reduce that to 1.725. As stated before, Every .015 in reduction in the spring height equals 5 lbs MORE of seat pressure. So .075 divided by .015 = 5 times 5 pounds each = 25 more pounds. So your max seat pressure would be 155 (stock SE) + 25 = 180 pounds seat pressure

Did you ponder or think about changing the springs to lighter ones since your application is below a 500 lift?
I do believe that he's made a error is stating the lift for the W6 cam, it's a .510 lift. In my discussion with Bob Wood, he said that the cam will work fine with SE heads, even with their higher vale seating pressure. If anything, the only difference that could make would be possibly some valve train noise and perhaps faster 'than normal' wear of the vale seats. ... But these are also not 'known' and I would think, hard to 'quantify'

Which might be more condusive to your set up.....others here would have far greater information or response to this topic over myself.....Isn't the "OEM" valve spring pressure around 185lbs and with a 500 lift having valve spring pressure of 155 might be more appropriate?  I am curious about this myself....so that's why I am askin.....what people are doin.....don't mean for this to turn into a "valve spring discussion" but perhaps yourself or anyone for that matter may have some quick insight on this.

Regards,

"Classic"

Tim - the information that I can find on the stock head valve spring setup from the service manual states:
Outer spring is installed and set to:
    1.751-1.848 inches closed, which is 72-92 pounds
    1.282-1.378 inches open, which is 183--207 pounds

Inner spring is installed and set to:
    1.577-1.683 inches closed, which is 38-49 pounds
    1.107-1.213 inches open, which is 98--112 pounds

I don't know enough about it to answer the next set of questions ....

does the 'open' / 'closed'  refer to the 'VALVE' or to the 'SPRING'  ?

If it's the 'Valve' .... it's easy to understand the postion of the valve on the seat, open or closed.
If it's the 'SPRING' .. well, would it mean, when the valve is 'seated' the spring is 'closed' = compressed, and when the valve is 'open' the spring would also be 'open' = expanded (opening the valve) .....

80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods