September 20, 2024, 06:27:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1971 Shovelhead inner primany removal

Started by acoolmf, March 25, 2013, 10:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acoolmf

I have some experience with Harleys but very little with shovels. Yes I ordered the manual but until it gets here. I am trying to pull the inner primary to remove the engine. I have the clutch off the compensating sprocket off, and the starter. I have removed all the bolts from the inside but before I break something, I know on some models there are some bolts that hold the primary on from the outside under the engine. Does anyone know if this is the case with this model of Harley. I tried to look for them but cant see anything.

Ohio HD

None that I remember from the outside. Motor and transmission, all from the inside.

tracerbob

My guess is that the inner primary is stuck on the mainshaft support bearing that is behind the clutch and is pressed into the primary cover.  If you have all 4 of the bolts out on the engine side you can theoretically pull the engine from the right side leaving the primary in place.  Also, did you disconnect all the oil lines from the primary?

saddle tramp

there should be 2 bolts on the outside front of the primary, no other bolts on the outside of the inner pri cover.

acoolmf

Are the oil lines to the primary preventing me from wiggling the primary off the clutch shaft?

acoolmf

Unless anyone screams dont do it. I will pull the engine out with the primary engine bolts off and leave the primary on the shaft until the manual gets here. That way I can tear the engine down and send it to the machine shop. Thanks guys

acoolmf

It does seem like it is stuck on the clutch shaft. Is there a good way to pull it off that shaft?

Ohio HD

Spray the hell out of it with Deep Creep. Then it's gonna take some force, carefully, so not to break the primary.

easyricer

There should be some tapped holes in the ring around the tranny main shaft and bearing. You can put some all thread in them and use a puller with light pressure on it. While turning the screw on the puller tap on the primary case with a wood, rubber or leather mallet. If it's been on there since 71, it might not want to move that much right now. Be careful those early primary cases were fairly porous and could be brittle. so not too much pressure.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

acoolmf

Ok went and picked up some all thread 1/4-20 which fit into the holes around the shaft. Used the same clutch hub puller I just bought to get the clutch hub off and presto. Thanks guys now the motor is out of the bike and tomorrow I will start the teardown and see what needs to go to the machine shop.