May 09, 2024, 02:13:00 PM

News:

6 speed needed?

Started by Ironheadmike, March 26, 2013, 03:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

I've been doing some reading, and I've read that over 100hp a six speed tranny is reconmended . Specially with a 3:37 gearing . Which I have in my 92 Softail . Is this just another ploy for me to spend more money on something I really don't need ?

Buglet

If you going with a 6 speed I go with the S&S thats the only thats been holding up so far. All the other seen to crap out. The only other one I would use is a baker as they do stand behind them. I try them all.

Ironheadmike

But do I really need one ?

CraigArizona85248

Do you really need one?  No.  You might find that you like it, but you do not NEED it.  I'm still running an old 4-speed.

-Craig

hd06myway

Being a vibrating Evo Softie, a 6-speed would help smooth out your cruising speeds... other than that, agree with CraigAz.. no you don't need one.

threadkiller

I'm not sure what HP has to do with choices of American made transmissions, but I went the 'other' way. I changed my belt and put a 65 tooth rear pulley on the back of my '95 FLHT. IMO thats a 5 speed that 'acts' like a 6. I'd be running around 70mph and reach down and click, yup I was in 4th. Granted, it is a tiny bit soft out of the hole. but if you got more cubes/power? TK. 
I'm not saying I'm Superman, but no one has seen Superman & me in the same room.

stroker800

I ride hard but don't oftend sustain a speed of 100mph for any more than few miles,,,FIL harley ever needs to go into 6th...I think my bike would lug if had 6 speed..
Dave

HogMike

I'm running a 4 speed in my 65 with 25/25 sprockets. (93")
No where near 100 HP!
Gets down the road just fine.
Switched to Andrews 1st and 3rd gears.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

FSG

I think you should look at it the other way, in that if you want a 6 speed you had better have the HP to drive it, else you'll not be using 6th that much at all.

No you don't need it and if you do have a few horses over stock then other cheaper gearing change options are available.

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

Quote from: threadkiller on March 26, 2013, 09:22:19 AM
I'm not sure what HP has to do with choices of American made transmissions, but I went the 'other' way. I changed my belt and put a 65 tooth rear pulley on the back of my '95 FLHT. IMO thats a 5 speed that 'acts' like a 6. I'd be running around 70mph and reach down and click, yup I was in 4th. Granted, it is a tiny bit soft out of the hole. but if you got more cubes/power? TK.
I agree with every thing you said. My 99 came with a 65. After speaking with owners of the new 6 speeds I turn the same rpm in 5th they turn in 6th. As you said 1st is a tad high but, the trade of for lower Rpms at Interstate speeds makes it worth it. Now with the new head work I'm anxious to see how see pulls my lx bunk house trailer.

mel

I also changed to the International 65-tooth rear pulley and belt on my 1988 FXRS-Sp many years ago when in Germany. It brought my crusing RPMs down with no noticable detriment to overall performance. Quite happynwith thismsetup and would not go back.
1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989

Lakerat

OK, gotta ask. How many RPM's are you guys with the 65 tooth sprocket with a 5-speed actually turning at 70MPH?
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

Evo160K

I had 3.37 also.  Went to a 34 tooth drive sprocket.  That helped, lowered the rpms about 250.  Final is .89:1

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

I don't remember 70, but at 55 I turn 2 grand. I always try to remember other speeds, but I just don't seem to get it stuck in my head. I don't even want to guess.

If all goes right I will try to figure it out this weekend. I had my gallbladder removed this afternoon and I hope I can ride this weekend. It's suppose to be nice.

By then someone else should chim in.

JC 92FXRS

Well I've got to ask...where do like to drive the bike? Are you running 75-80 mph down the highway most of the time?...get a 6. Are you bar-hoppin'? ... stick with the 5. Softtail you say...something like a Heritage, ... or a Custom? Different bikes are used for different things. In my mind, get it set to where you'd like it to run best... i.e. where you would normally run it.
FWIW, my little FXR is stock...do I look for another gear occasionally?, Yup! But I like the bike best at ~70mph max (~3500rpm). Of course that's on crappy Canadian roads...not those beautiful AZ desert roads...those roads need another gear!  :teeth:
JMO, Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Ironheadmike

My bike is a 92 springer . I commute to work , about 50miles one way . I'm running between 60 and 75 ,95% of the time . I also do a few road trips of around 1200 miles each and those are mostly 60-85mph . As far as  hp, I'm now running right around 120hp , I'm swapping out my 80 for a 113 .

JC 92FXRS

Well, as Craig said...do you need it? 120hp "should" pull fine at 75mph (at 75 mph with mine, 60hp approx....it pulls.. but it's at its limit..sure, I'd like some more). I'd be happy with what you have. Depends where/how you want to run....I guess it's obvious that I'm into tuning your machine to where you run it. Even my bone-stock EVO will out-accelerate most cages (trouble) in 660 feet.  :wink: I've rented lots of baggers (next bike) and 6th is usually pretty minor for me, but on slab...6th is brilliant. But a Springer?...I'd leave it at 5 speed.
JMO and cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Ironheadmike

Thanks , I'll leave well enough alone . I've built a ton of 80's . This is my first engine over 95 hp . I guess I'm just a little nervous on how it will run and handle .

Deye76

March 28, 2013, 05:04:56 AM #18 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:14:32 AM by Deye76
You got plenty of power, I'd do the over drive. My 80" made about 85 hp, plenty of power to run in 6th, fully loaded with the O'L headed to sturgis (bagger). Made the 700 mile days a lot better.

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

v-child

Last year I went for the S&S 111 in the old FLHT and found the new engine had more than enough to pull a higher final gear ratio. I went with a Rivera 6 speed which had a steep 6th gear and close ratios from 1st to 5th. Even with the additional power of the large engine the 6th overdrive gear was dull and useless unless I was going over 85 mph. Changing the engine sprocket to 24, leaving the rest stock at 32/70 gave a very useful gearbox great for acceleration and the 6th overdrive gear was still higher than stock. I am very happy with that combo and ordered the same engine sprocket for my FXR. I think a lot of folks try to overgear their bikes leading to lugging and detonation issues.

guido4198

When the 6-speeds first started showing up for the Evo's...I ran some numbers looking at the potential for extended life of the motor if the swap lowered the rpm's sufficiently for the majority of your riding, etc. It interested me since most of my miles are from long rides at highway speeds 65-80. I concluded that it made no sense at all to pull a perfectly good factory 5-speed and replace it with an untested (at that time) aftermarket 6.
IF my 5 were to blow up...I might go to a 6...now that we know a little more about them and the good ones are starting to pull out ahead of the poor ones.
That said...I'm at 265,000 mi. on my 1985 5-speed and have only needed to replace some bearings and bushings once. Daddy always said..."Son, don't fix something that works".

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

1999 fatboy with a 65 rear tooth pully, to answer the question asked earlier what Rpms with that set up. I put 130 miles on today at 70, I turn 2,600 Rpms at 70.

As I mentioned I turn 2,000 at 55. I don't need a speeding ticket so I didn't check any faster then that.

guido4198

Quote from: Fatboy Rider on March 29, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
1999 fatboy with a 65 rear tooth pully, to answer the question asked earlier what Rpms with that set up. I put 130 miles on today at 70, I turn 2,600 Rpms at 70.

As I mentioned I turn 2,000 at 55. I don't need a speeding ticket so I didn't check any faster then that.

Those are interesting numbers. I'm going to be replacing both front and rear pulleys on my 1985 FXRS when I replace the current drive belt sometime in the future. I've been looking at changing to different tooth counts, but like I said in an earlier response...given my overall satisfaction with the factory set-up over all these years and miles...it's tough to do.
How did that change affect the "feel" of the bike's performance when starting out from a dead stop...???

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

My bike, as all 95 and newer softails came factory with the 65 tooth rear pully. I was thinking about going to a 70 rear tooth but all I have to do is ride in 4th and it's what my bro turns in is fxr in 5th.

As far as first gear, pulling my lx bunk house trailer two up, stop signs with steep hills, I could use a lower gear ratio in first. The reason I say this, I have never had my wife on with me on a steep hill at a stop sign but by myself it was a close call to lugging my engine, she may have to get off lol.

I wanted my wrench to put on a 70 tooth rear pully when I had my head work done but he mentioned see how it works with the head work first.

mel

I hope to get out on a ride tomorow morning to verify the RPM/MPH. I'll let you know later in the day.
1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989