May 02, 2024, 02:27:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

downloading updates for TTS

Started by Sailor285, February 13, 2009, 11:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor285

I just purchased the TTS Mastertune for my 08 RG.  I will install on the lap top and desk top...The lap top is not set up for internet...Can I just down load updated to desktop and put them on a flash drive and transfer to lap top? Or will I need to set up internet acces for the Lap top?  TIA , Dan

crazycalvin

What do you mean by the lap top is not set up for the internet?  If you have Internet Explorer, you should be able to connect to the internet via ethernet port, wireless connection, or land line.  Let us know what you got for ISP and lap top and I am sure some one can help you out.  Later, Calvin.

sportygordy

you have to run the updater on each computer you intend to use TTS. So if you can't connect one of your computers to the internet, you will have to find out a way to do so. I had same problem you are having a few months ago and even went as far as asking TTS for a CD update but they said that was not possible. I ended up going to Fry's and found a $15 wireless card and got the laptop connected to the internet.

Sailor285

thanks...... I'll just set up the lap top on dial up...didn't want to if I didnt have to .

Dan

glens

That update's going to be an exhaustive undertaking on dialup.  There're megabytes of stuff to fetch.

Please understand that I'm a real big fan of the (my) TTS kit.  There are a few things about the way they (TTS) do things that I don't care for, necessarily.  One of them is this "updating" mechanism the way it's implemented.  But worse than that, by far, is that I have to fire up a Windows computer to even use it.  Should be no reason whatsoever this stuff couldn't have been written in JAVA for use by everyone, regardless their computing platform of choice.  It's bad enough to have to buy and use a USB/serial converter to use the tuner, but making it necessary to also add the cost of a Windows license (especially when it will never be used for anything else) is downright ornery.

Another thing to consider at this time is that they've removed some of the datalogging functionality from the most recent update.  If that means anything to you and you care about it, you might consider trying to save the updated tuning files and re-installing the older version of the pertinent software if necessary.  I don't rightly know how that might work, though.  It's near impossible to do much of anything really useful like that with Windows.

sportygordy

Quote from: Sailor285 on February 13, 2009, 04:05:47 PM
thanks...... I'll just set up the lap top on dial up...didn't want to if I didnt have to .

Dan

Dan, I wouldn't even consider downloading the update via dial up. The update is HUGE. My bet your dial up will encounter fatal errors during the download which means you start over,, and over, and over...

Scotty

I have every update that has ever been released for the TTS on my hard drive
They come down as a EXE file that gets deleted once installed however I don't click next on the install until I copy the file somewhere else.
If anyone wants a particular update number just let me know and will put it up somewhere for you to download.
Mastertune, Datamaster & Vtune available

ToBeFrank

Quote from: glens on February 13, 2009, 08:16:05 PMShould be no reason whatsoever this stuff couldn't have been written in JAVA for use by everyone, regardless their computing platform of choice.

Since the SERT/MasterTune was an off-shoot from their already existing products, they would have had to completely rewrite it in Java rather than adapt their existing code. I can't imagine any company making that decision for the few people who want to run it on something other than Windows. Also, Java is only cross-platform if the libraries have been implemented for a particular OS. In particular, this is relevant for accessing the serial port. javax.comm may not have even existed when they wrote the original product.

glens

I hear you, but I don't know how well I agree with the concept.  Seems to me (going by months-ago recollection only) there was a fair amount of dot net stuff (or something similarly recent) installed with the TTS software.  If the SERT software was developed in that environment it's a fairly sure thing Java could've been used instead.  I guess what I'm saying is, they were extremely short-sighted at a minimum by limiting themselves to the sinking ship of MS stuff only.  I'll probably get my wish sooner than later anyway.  :)

Sailor285

Thanks ...I did update it with the lap top at 26K LMFAO!!!!!!  took a while I did 1 app at a time and installed ....I just let it run while I went and did other stuff around the house...no issues with a bad download....

Dan

sportygordy

Quote from: Sailor285 on February 17, 2009, 05:28:05 PM
Thanks ...I did update it with the lap top at 26K LMFAO!!!!!!  took a while I did 1 app at a time and installed ....I just let it run while I went and did other stuff around the house...no issues with a bad download....

Dan

Dan,, You have more patience (and luck) then i do. I'm glad the download worked for ya,, I just ran the updater on a new laptop via my a new cable modem service i just started.. WOW, I love this cable internet. I ran all updates less then a few minutes. My prior AT&T DSL took over an hour.