May 01, 2024, 05:59:58 PM

News:

derby cover gasket

Started by ssls6, February 13, 2009, 03:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssls6

I went to get a derby cover gasket and was given a paper gasket. What happened to the o-ring? My 98 FLHR uses a big o-ring that fits in a groove. They told me the new part is a paper gasket. I tried it without the o-ring and my cover leaked. Is there a part number I can use to get the o-ring?  I pinched my o-ring and need a new one.

Thanks,
Richard

JBarrettB

Check your derby cover, I'll bet it's warped. Especially if it is one of those live to ride, flame, or another etched variety. Very common. OEM covers are best.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

ssls6

its a ride to live cover (born to leak).  Can it be trued?

Thanks,
Richard

fxr4mikey

ya know, or so I've been told, and I subscribe to this, and have never had a leak problem with my derby cover

the derby cover takes a 'set' after it's been mounted on the case.  Any time you REMOVE the derby cover, you need to put it back with the SAME ORIENTATION that it had before.  So whatever bolt hole was at 12 o'clock, should go back in that same position.

Like I said, I've never had a leak problem here ... and I use the same gasket 4 or 5 times without replacing it, no problems, no sealant on the gasket either
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

dpb-RK

If you like to reuse the 'rubber ring' and it has grown too big.............put ring in freezerfor a few mins.....prepare primary and derby for replacement..........remove ring from freezer and apply to groove.........quite quickly the ring will return to size and pop right in there......bolt up and ride  :smile:
Computers don't make errors, what they do, they do on purpose....

BigE1340

Aftermarkey still make the o-ring.Cometic and James gaskets still make them.Those paper one are junk... :wtf:

L-

Just put some silicone on both sides of it.  You can find an 0 ring later.  I like the new gaskets a lot better than  the 0 rings or you might want to get a gasket from Hippo that is designed for the VPC clutch.   

BigE1340

The o ring style rarely leak.I have never had a problem with them. The paper ones are just the result of the MoCO making things cheaper.The o-ring works why fu@# with it. :potstir:

Old Crow

I got one in a kit from Cometic.  Metal clad with some kind of paper.  I've reused it several times with no leakage.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Nebraskarider1

No matter what gasket you decide to use it will not seal if the cover is not flat. Lay it on a flat surface such as the bed of a table saw or something known to be flat and you will probably be surprised how far off it is. I used to work in an automotive machine shop that had a belt resurfacer for use on exhaust manifolds. I took it there and had one of my old co-workers hold it on the belt surfacer just long enough to clean it up. When I put it back together I used the o-ring and the paper gasket and put studs in the holes with sealer on the threads and put chrome acorn nuts on the studs and have NEVER touched it, or had any leaks again for 4 years so far. When I change the primary oil I fill it through the chain inspection cover. By the way mine was also a cheapo H-D brand Taiwan POS. All that Made in USA stuff, HA, just another phrase for the stealer's to get our money.

ClassicRider2002

Like I said, I've never had a leak problem here ... and I use the same gasket 4 or 5 times without replacing it, no problems, no sealant on the gasket either

Fxr4Mikey~~~

Good tip!!!!

But waaaaiiiiitttttt just a minute ummmmm how seriously can we take this advice......coming from a guy that had to be shamed into cleaning his bolts.....(lol, teasin)  and rides the country side with a rubber bulk, bulk bulk bulk....bulllkkkkkkk "CHICKEN" lol

Actually a pretty wise tip, going to have to try this one..... :up:    a piece of masking tape with an arrow pointing to the 12:00 position hole on derby cover.....and on the gasket as well (removing it before you reinstall).

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

tinkerman

The first year I had my 88 Heritage I distorted the Derby cover by overtightening the three screws. Basically the cover had three low points (or high points...depending on your perspective) right at the machine screw holes. The thing didn't leak when I got it and after inspecting the primary and changing the oil I had developed a little weep.  :wtf: Took it off and put it on a sheet of glass and sure enough I could see the distortion at the screw holes. Basically the Oring got nipped there due to the pressure from the screws but at center distance between screw holes the oring didn't flatten so much.

Soooooo.....I put a rag over the primary opening....put the cover on backwards...inside out, and put the screws back in and tightened to a reasonable force. Took it off and checked on the glass sheet. No difference. Did it again with a bit more torque on the machine screws. Checked again and saw some improvement. A couple more times and I had the cover back where it needed to be. You actually have to force it past the point of being flat at which point it springs back to it's proper shape.

Now....I am just relating what I did. The downside to doing this is that if you put too much torque on those screws you could strip the threads on the primary so perhaps the improved version of doing this would be to make a small metal jig.

Just relating what I did to correct a related problem. Bottom lesson for me here was to  :rtfb: and use proper torque values when installing any fastener.

Just my .02,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

ClassicRider2002

tinkerman   :up:  :up:  (I would have added three buttttttttt because of the "HOWIE" Rule I can only add a total of 3 motocons per post....lol)

Great input.....the whole time I am reading what you are saying.....yeah but what about them there screws strippin out of the prmary cover case material.....but like ole faithful.....you gave us the alternative...... :wink:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2