April 28, 2024, 11:09:42 AM

News:

Shovelhead FLH Dash Install

Started by tiburontropic, February 14, 2009, 12:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiburontropic

Anyone have any tips on the install of a FLH dash. Last year mine kept working loose from the mounting plate and it ruined my paint vibrating around.

harpo1313

i had put a little teflon tape on the threads for the chrome nut on mine,that way you dont have to crank it down too tight,new runners [rubber] are available and should be a lot softer than your old ones,they get pretty hard after a while.
                                                                                  ron

flhswingarm

rashd

I am not sure if you retain the stock choke arrangement. If so, I can't comment since my 74 FL is fitted with a Super E.
I was able to secure the stock dash at a good position around speedo and ignition switch using a 14-20 stud
from the base plate up through the dash. I used washers and a jam nut beneath the dash to snug it up
with a lock washer and an acorn nut on top. The rubber tanks strips stay put, saving the paint and
the dash doesn't crack at the bottom from being torqued down without back-up.

Even with repop dash and speedo, should be about the same. I had to bush up the base plate with washers
to get the correct angle for the switch and speedo, too.

randallwhitman

Quote from: tiburontropic on February 14, 2009, 12:27:54 PM
Anyone have any tips on the install of a FLH dash. Last year mine kept working loose from the mounting plate and it ruined my paint vibrating around.

Loctite.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX