April 27, 2024, 11:07:27 AM

News:

Antifreeze

Started by rbabos, April 14, 2013, 08:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Going over my bike and tested the antifreese. **(*(*^&^( factory watered it down a bit too much. Comes in at -20 or about 60/40 mix. Factory uses Peak Global unmixed and dilutes it there. Some of the up north bikers might want to check their freeze protection if it's stored in an unheated building. Bit late in the season for this year but for next.
I'm in a heated shop so never gave it a thought. Out of curiosity I checked. SM calls for 50/50 which equals -34
Ron

88b

If I remember right from my work days 50/50 gives the best protection if you go more than 50% anti freeze it starts freezing sooner.

rbabos

Quote from: 88b on April 14, 2013, 11:53:47 AM
If I remember right from my work days 50/50 gives the best protection if you go more than 50% anti freeze it starts freezing sooner. Amost as bad as water.
There is improvement over 50/50 to a point then it drops off rapidly.
50/50 offers the best compromise for cooling , corrosion protection and pump seal lubrication.
Don't know if the factory isn't smart enough to mix 50/50 or it's a deliberate attempt to save money. Both piss me off.
Ron

88b

It's all about the money, at Ford if you make  a suggestion that saves 1cent a car they give you a car. It wouldn't be as big a saving at HD but I'd bet if they can save a cent a bike they will.

RevFastEddy

Take a look at EVANS coolant... not a typical antifreeze.   No water and no ethylene glycol.   It has a 375dF boiling point and slushes at -44dF or so.  It lets your cooling system operate under almost zero pressure saving pumps, hoses and seals for years.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

rbabos

Quote from: RevFastEddy on May 31, 2013, 06:38:05 AM
Take a look at EVANS coolant... not a typical antifreeze.   No water and no ethylene glycol.   It has a 375dF boiling point and slushes at -44dF or so.  It lets your cooling system operate under almost zero pressure saving pumps, hoses and seals for years.
Used that in the Rotax aircraft engines years ago. Good stuff. Turns out my mixture was good after all from the factory. Seems from ions ago when I bought my tester, specific gravity has changed with some of these coolants. Bought some Peak antifreeze, premixed of course and the "Potty mouth" tested the same. Recalibrated my tester and called it a day. :banghead: Would have responded sooner but nobody reads this section anyway. :hyst: I will post my opinion on the cooling system however.
Ron