May 06, 2024, 01:02:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

front wheel wobble

Started by ElCaFreak, April 22, 2013, 07:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElCaFreak

:wtf: Hi everybody. I'm new 2 this site. I really like what I C so far.
I have been putting this 71 basket case together for abyear and a half now and don't know how to figure out what is missing on the front axle.
I had my local guru check the bearings and they r fine. Right now there is about a 1 inch spacer on the right side. It kind of looks like it was made. On the left side all I have is the bottom mount for the brakes.
I HAVE to ride this thing, I'm getting pretty impatient by mow.
I drive truck and only get to work on it on weekends.
Please don't tell me that I need special parts and can't just make my own spacers or washers.
Ill upload sone pics when I get home
Thanx
Dug

Blackcherry Low

Do you still have the stock drum brake?  If so, looking at my manual, you wouldn't have any spacers, just the wheel/brake assy in between the forks.  Then of course your axle plus lock washer and nut.

ricochet

We really could use a picture because the front end could have been swapped out from the sounds of it.  Spacers and a brake mount at the axle sound different but no reason to not be able to work with it.  Really center it all in the front and go from there unless it's not supposed to be centered to begin with.

ricochet

garyajaz

i a wobble expert...lol
could be tire cupping, broke tire cords lots of stuff.
are things alinged? fork oil fresh and measured same?
also most front wheel wobble starts from the back.

does it tank slap or sway?
and yeah pix would be handy.
sportys not inclinded to wobbel like our big twin brothers
my ol iron used to shake its head about 130 or so.  mainly cause its short wheel base and not set up for top end.  a fork brace off my flat track bike fixed it.
do you have a front fender? are fork tubes set same?
we can help but need much more info.  and pix.

what speed does it do it? is it everytime?  if not a death wobble tank slapper maybe stay in throttle to see if it goes away. ( try at your own risk)that info will also help. (bonny guys go throught that all the time)

keep the ol iron runnig.

oh, and that 130 comment?  lol
yeah its mph not kilometers. i was doing about 126 in quarter mile.
some what better in flying mile.  bike not stock and running alky
short bikes not good for top end.  is why all the short road racers that turn well have steering dampers to help on top end.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/garyajaz/00040-1.jpg

garyajaz

where ya at frek?
\fixed? give up?
inquering minds want to know

nucklhead13

You can check the wheel and see if any spokes are bent.

nucklhead13

You can check and see if the rear wheel is aligned. When the chain has to be adjusted there is an adjuster in each side of the swing arm. One side can get tightened more than the other which means the rear wheel will nolonger be straight.

bobrk1