May 02, 2024, 01:40:30 AM

News:

Loose Cylinder Studs

Started by fxr4mikey, February 15, 2009, 06:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxr4mikey

February 15, 2009, 06:48:46 AM Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:58:23 AM by fxr4mikey
OK, so I was working on my build. And getting ready to put the cylinders back on ..... I was cleaning up the threads on the cylinders studs when I found that the stud on the left front of the front cylinder was loose.

It was loose enough to remove by hand :yikes:

So I had some suggestions from my Indy and a couple of others, that I should consider replacing all 8 studs. So I decided I'd do that.  There were none in stock so I ordered them on Friday past.

So yesterday I decided to remove the other 7 studs just getting ready for when the new ones came in.

What I found out was that the stud on the left rear of the front cylinder was also loose. Not so much that I could remove it by hand, but with the wrench it required no 'real effort' to unscrew it about halfway, then I could remove it by hand.  The other 6 studs were truly tight in the case. They actually required force to unscrew them.

I need to find out why those two studs where loose.

1) before the tear down there was no sign of oil leaks at the base of either cylinder

2) last night I spent about 1/2 hour with a work light, flash light and a large magnifying glass looking for any signs of cracks or failures in the case.  I found NOTHING

So, my questions are:

1) anyone out there every find loose cyl studs after your tear down ?

2) were you able to determine why the studs were loose

3) what did you do about it ?

Thanks for any insights that you may be able to offer

Mikey

EDIT:

The stock studs on this bike, and all new ones, come with a loc-tite patch on the stud. So the user 'can't forget' nor has to, put any loc-tite on the studs.  So, the theory is, that they should have bee loc-tited when installed from the factory.

This bike is a 2000 FXR4 and this is the first time that it's been opened up.
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

threadkiller

Loose studs are/were a fairly common occurence, depending upon the year of mfg. I'm somewhat surprised that the later model stuff such as yours has this problem. Stock H-D -83C studs are more than strong enough for even the baddest builds. They have encapsulated locktite on them and are installed shoulder down. I've also used Colony studs as well. Just yesterday I saw S&S studs more reasonably priced (retail) than I would have expected, however I was unable to determine a country of manufacture. Clean your threads and install your studs per a factory srvice manual procedure. TK. 
I'm not saying I'm Superman, but no one has seen Superman & me in the same room.

choseneasy

Yup, what threadkiller said. I usually only replace the studs that are loose.

psyco369

found the same with my build ....best I can figure is they came loose when I was removing the head bolts

fxr4mikey

Quote from: psyco369 on February 16, 2009, 06:40:28 AM
found the same with my build ....best I can figure is they came loose when I was removing the head bolts
So far, that's the only thing that I can figure for mine too, I have no other evidence of how they may have come loose  .....

So far, from people that I've talked to, it doesn't seem to be a 'big deal'.  Just chk that the case isn't cracked, and the case threads seem to be ok, install new, or re-use, cylinder studs and proceed.

I can tell you this, I will not be 'stressing' over it .... I'm putting in 8 new studs, with shoulders, and the loc-tite patch ... then proceeding with the rest of the build.
I'll be posting up pics along the way !

and what did you do ?

Replace only the loose ones ?
How many were loose ?
Did you put the same studs back in ?  Using red loc-tite ?  Or did you put NEW studs back in ?

Thanks !!
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

psyco369

I reused the original studs with red locktight so far so good for over a year now

tinkerman

So Psyco,

Are you using the modified studs with the shoulder pointing down or still using an eralier version.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

psyco369

mine is a 94 old style shoulder up

86fxwg

I learned the hard way.Dont use a tap to clean the threads,use only a thread chaser.taps are to sharp and cut the aluminum.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

fxr4mikey

Quote from: 86fxwg on February 16, 2009, 08:46:31 PM
I learned the hard way.Dont use a tap to clean the threads,use only a thread chaser.taps are to sharp and cut the aluminum.

Dave

Thanks !

I've looked at the threads, with a light and magnifying glass .... they're clean enough that it's not worth any effort to try to chase anything there.

The project is on hold until my new studs come in .... week to 10 days from yesterday
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

martida01

Stock HD studs are just like the lifters.  Fine for all but extreem builds.  That is what was preached to me.

I had a base gasket leak.  I found a loose stud when I pulled my motor down.    Seems that it had pulled the threads out of the case.  My builder repaired the 'bad' hole.  He checked that all the others would pull torque and said that he wouldn't machine all of them 'just becuse' one pulled.   So far, so good (3 years).

The hole was easy to spot as bad.  The material around the hole was not silver like the case material, it was slightly lighter in color, white-ish if you will.  When we tried to pull torque on the hole, the threads started to come out.  Kinda a no brainer. 

Good luck.

fxr4mikey

Thanks for posting up .... I'll have another look at the cases and see if I can spot any discoloration around any of the stud holes

Mikey
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

psyco369

I checked mine out and it had just come loose.....when I reinstalled it it was nice and tight when set to the right height no probs with torque

dave_9113

February 18, 2009, 10:35:18 AM #13 Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:37:40 PM by dave_9113
FRX4Mikey,

[Edit]  I just realized your building an Evo.  Good build thread with pictures.

You mention the bike being a 2000 FXR, so I would think the same process would work for your Twin Cam. 

There were 3 changes from the original Evo cylinder studs.  1994 and later have the latest with -C in the parts number.  They have red loctite on the end with the shoulder.  The studs are put with the shoulders facing down and against the case;therefore, you don't have to worry about measuring heights, etc.. like the older version. 

Best way to put them on is using impact so they go in straight. I used a 3/4" acorn nut with ball bearing inside the acorn against the stud end.  They go in pretty easy.  Just be careful not to let the ball drop into your case.  That would not be good. 

ClassicRider2002

February 18, 2009, 08:21:58 PM #14 Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:35:50 PM by ClassicRider2002
"LINKING" The two THREADS.

SIMPLY, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

FXR4MIKEY'S 2009 BUILD

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2