News:

124 Hurricane update...

Started by Mother, April 24, 2013, 04:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durwood

:up: Dave, you got the 140 square you were looking for :wink:

Unbalanced

Mother,

Any chance you can run it again on wurk's dynojet again to get a comparison on the pipe vs. SuperFlow adjustment for DJ?

Great improvement for sure  :up:   

Merc63

How is it to ride, do you feel that torque dip/hump?
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Mother

she starts a lil hard after sitting....thinkin' lifter bleed down. adjusted the p-rods and we'll see how she starts tomorrow.
155hp/149tq Hyperformance iron cylinder 131. JW Performance heads

1931jamesw

Are you running limiters in your lifters?

Mother

no limiters,  just the  wood performance lifters.......I reset the p rods which should help.  the spring pressures weren't too crazy....... John might remember the spring specs....

1931jamesw

I suspect timing could be a bigger part of the problem but if you determine that the lifters not having limiters in them is causing a problem, pm me your address and I'll send you a new set of S&S limiters at no charge.

TorQuePimp

Spring pressure is not the issue

No Cents

did you wire in ACR's for those Hurricane/110 heads?...11.5:1 compression isn't going to spin over easy...especially if the ACR's aren't both working.
I'd make sure the ACR's are working properly.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Mother

August 07, 2013, 03:27:23 PM #259 Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:37:06 PM by Mother
she seems to be real finicky on how to she wants started.....no blip of the throttle, no choke, just a lil roll on the throttle as you hit the button. tested both ACR's independently....both working. It turns over fast just doesn't 'catch' right away. Ken thought maybe the lifters were bleeding down.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Mother on August 04, 2013, 05:12:26 PM
We are still going to try another pipe to see if the torque curve will get better!
final numbers from Ken Miller @ Ken miller Customs

Good numbers, odd curve.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

1931jamesw

I'm still guessing it's the timing. I've got a carbed 120R in the shop thats doing the same as you describe. I havent gotten a chance to take a good look at it, let me know what you find, Im curious...

C-Cat

August 07, 2013, 08:48:01 PM #262 Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:57:26 PM by C-Cat
Quote from: INDEPENDENT 1 on August 07, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
I'm still guessing it's the timing. I've got a carbed 120R in the shop thats doing the same as you describe. I havent gotten a chance to take a good look at it, let me know what you find, Im curious...
had the same issues with my 124.. All balls starter and s&s travel limiters
helped a lot. Depending on weather a little throttle is needed.
That black hole sure brings the tq on early, and making the #'s on top also.
Another pipe may give a more conventional curve, however those #'s are going to be hard to beat! That bike must be a handful full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears?
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Mother

I emailed the dyno sheet to RB asked the guys what they thought of the TQ curve. here's their response:

We don't have any torque curve data as this is so dependent on an infinite variety of setups.

That is a lot of hp for a Blackhole however.

We could guess, but it would just be a guess ,as there is so much going on inside the pipe. Could be a reversion at that point in the carb.

Carb tuning inlet length is a large issue with big twins as they have about zero inlet volume.

We just suggest people ride and skip the rest.

TorQuePimp

They don't like dyno's it appears....god forbid a guy would tune his bike on one of those god forsaken things :emoGroan:

CowboyTutt

Yup, I agree.  I wouldn't want any kind of "reality check" if I was making the same claims they do either.  -Tutt 

vdop

Quote from: Mother on August 07, 2013, 03:27:23 PM
she seems to be real finicky on how to she wants started.....no blip of the throttle, no choke, just a lil roll on the throttle as you hit the button. tested both ACR's independently....both working. It turns over fast just doesn't 'catch' right away. Ken thought maybe the lifters were bleeding down.

Quote from: INDEPENDENT 1 on August 07, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
My bike is injected, but I was having a similar problem when I got it together. I'm also running acrs, wired to activate with the start button. It's around 190 cranking. It wouldn't start without rolling the throttle on a little. I dealt with it for quite a while, messed with cranking fuel, timing, got it the best I could but still had to give it a little throttle. Didn't really think about it til I did a compression test on a stock 96" and it cranked 190 and has no compression releases, and my bike builds compression a little slower. I unplugged one acr and it starts mint. Wasn't building compression fast enough with both releases working. Not saying this is the problem for you guys, but it's something to take a look at.

HD/Wrench

For the pipe on the bike thats not really odd  . I have tuned several of them .....not my "go" to pipe. However I think I have a zilla test pipe that I could get you if you wanted to give it a try.

Just tested 3 stock 103 bikes with ACR on and off  I even went and bought a new Snap on testor to compare to the Mac one I have they read the same. ACR off 198-210 was the range  ACR on it dropped 90 PSI.. ACR is not a on off unit it is pulsed when used with a EFI bike.  On a EFI bike there is a threshold of approx 90-95 PSI where it will not fire due to lack of compression.

Durwood

Steve- you got a difference of 12lbs on 2 different bikes? Wow, wonder if putting them both on a battery charger would tighten them numbers up, :nix: I check them with a charger attached,because I never know the condition of the battery and as we know cranking rpms effects cranking pressure.

Thanks for your contribution to HTT :beer:

HD/Wrench

I test them with both plugs out and charger on the bike.. I was shocked that one bike pumped 210 F/R..  It was here for a tune.. it ran hot and pinged often  :doh: 

Ohio HD

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on August 09, 2013, 06:29:58 AM
For the pipe on the bike thats not really odd  . I have tuned several of them .....not my "go" to pipe. However I think I have a zilla test pipe that I could get you if you wanted to give it a try.

Just tested 3 stock 103 bikes with ACR on and off  I even went and bought a new Snap on testor to compare to the Mac one I have they read the same. ACR off 198-210 was the range  ACR on it dropped 90 PSI.. ACR is not a on off unit it is pulsed when used with a EFI bike.  On a EFI bike there is a threshold of approx 90-95 PSI where it will not fire due to lack of compression.

Nice offer mother     :up:

Durwood

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on August 09, 2013, 06:51:44 AM
I test them with both plugs out and charger on the bike.. I was shocked that one bike pumped 210 F/R..  It was here for a tune.. it ran hot and pinged often  :doh:
No wonder it was hot and pinging, 210ccp with stock cams :dgust:  That would be one of them 100hp stage 2 bikes with a xpipe and a set od 57's...LOL :teeth:

sfmichael

Quote from: Durwood on August 09, 2013, 06:39:14 AM
Steve- you got a difference of 12lbs on 2 different bikes? Wow, wonder if putting them both on a battery charger would tighten them numbers up, :nix: I check them with a charger attached,because I never know the condition of the battery and as we know cranking rpms effects cranking pressure.

Thanks for your contribution to HTT :beer:

:up: :up:

Very generous with your time, experience, and resources.
Colorado Springs, CO.