May 01, 2024, 11:38:58 PM

News:

Pan and old parts prices

Started by Reddog74usa, April 27, 2013, 05:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Dam shame to see what has happened to the market as it has forced a lot of old sckool riders out of the possibility of ever owning an older bike. It's become a money game and the worst part is they buy em then stash em away never to be seen again by the light of day. I was just at Oley Pa. antuiqe swap meet and just about everybody there has grey in there beards so if yer savin these rightous rides for later, guess what IT'S LATER. LATER IS HERE NOW. so get em out there n ride em don't hide em. The younger generation just doesn't have the same appreciation for these bikes so these prices aren't going to stay through the roof for long and once were on to the spirit land most of this stuff is going in the scrap heap cause they won't even know what the stuff is. Ok I'm done here.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hog54

April 27, 2013, 06:05:10 AM #1 Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:08:41 AM by Hog54
Yeah I was at a swap meet a couple weeks ago and seen a rebuilt knuckle motor that sold for 15k.I never even spent that for a whole bike. :crook:

But besides that I found some real deals there.I found a guy from up state new york that had rebuilt panheads that looked like brand new and he was selling them for $1100.00 a pair.I paid almost that to get my heads rebuilt 18 years ago.

CraigArizona85248

I hate to see old bikes locked away in the garage or basement. But that is how I got my 70's era panhead chop survivor. Ride em', wear em' out, rebuild, repeat...

-Craig

Reddog74usa

Craig we know you will never be accused of hide'n n not ride'n you Pan :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

easyricer

We got a cat here, who hordes bikes. He has his own museum full of them, don't share it, just has a warehouse full. Last time I talked to him, he was admiring one of my bikes and telling me about the Henderson he just got. (Same jack ass screwed me out of a Knuck several years back, long story) I asked him where the bike is, he said it's put away. So I told him I really didn't give a damn, motorcycles are meant to ride not to collect dust. Last I heard, he just added a 1903 Harley to his collection. His sons have a bunch of old bikes also, but they atleast ride them. I work on a few of them occasionally.
There are several around here who have bike collections and stop in on occasion to show them off at the shop. Yeah, I drool on a few of them, and some I get to service and take out for a spin.
I collect parts at swapmeets and they eventually turn into bikes. When I run into a cat trying to ask goldmine prices for parts I'm looking for, I laugh and walk away. I'm patient enough to wait for a deal. Took me 10 years to build Frankenstein. Don't know how long it'll take to build the 50.

EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

moose

been trying to get the rest of the parts together for my 50 fl and I'm almost ready to start putting it together now if I could only find the parts I've been collecting. In the process of building a 33x44 garage with an attached house. when I get in I'll give it a start to try and assemble. got to go to Oley swap meet and your right easyricer as parts get scarce prices are thur the roof and just not worth it I remember buying whole bikes for the price of some single parts.
still looking for an original muffler and the connector pipe for my 50

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Moose aka Glenn-

Reddog74usa

I don't think anyone has thrown away a Panhead part in over 20 years now so the parts really aren't scarce there just sittin on the floor in a hoarders shop some where. 2 years ago I went to Oley to get parts for a 61 FL I was building and left with nothing. First thing I looked at was a speedometer. Seller said 800 bucks with a Russian accent. I told him it wasn't a Faberge egg and ever so gingerly set it down. Then I came across a NOS rear fender and asked how much and with a straight face he say's 800 bucks. It was then I realized that in my 15 year absence from the Panhead life, things had drastically changed, not for the good and that I couldn't afford any of it. My buddy saw me lookin bewildered after the insane prices I found and put it to me this way. "Dog, calm down. You have to look at this like it's a parts show, not a swap meet" To me it was like the day the music died as Pans are my favorite. I have been into the Shovels and am really enjoying it. Prices are fair and parts are still on the market although the older generator models are creeping up in price. You can still find a nice Shovel at a good price if you look and are one of the best bangs for the buck you will find on a nice o'l Harley.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

easyricer

LOL I'm an AMCA member, meaning I got the card, get the mags and pay some dues. Last year at the Arlington Swapmeet, I finally met a few other members of the same chapter (Cherokee). One of them had a hacked up 50 rear fender. ( I say hacked up because the chain cutout had been cut away) He wanted $800 for it. No taillight, no sergeant stripes, no fender tip, no rear stand clip. I offered him $175 for it. He also had a pile of horns and saddle bag mount plates, of which I found some of interest. He wanted $100 for a horn (just the trumpet, no bell) and $50 each for his rusted and beat up plates.
What I had drug up with me was a trimmed down and cut/stretched 47 Knuck frame. I was asking $800 for it. We ended up horse trading. I told him I'd let him have the frame for $500 if I got the fender. I also scored a front fender, dash with mount and some foot board rubbers.
I'm still looking for a pogostick and a seat t but I'm OK with repop stuff. What I want is real sheetmetal, real cases, real frame, the rest I'm not sweating too much. I'll get my 50 up where I want it soon enough. After meeting with the AMCA cats though, not the kind of people I want to hang with.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Bsmith153

Yeah a buddy of mine has been looking for a complete pan motor for his winter resto project and cant find one anywhere!
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

iiggii

Yep every one is a picker now .and what they have is worth a zillion bucks. :SM:

BBQBIKER

November 20, 2015, 04:49:27 AM #10 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:56:22 AM by BBQBIKER
I'm in the same boat trying to get the parts to complete my own version of a Pan chop. I have a rebuilt 48 motor and a 48 frame thats in good shape. I was blessed to have those sorta come my way and thats something to be very very very thankful for!

I need everything else and this is not a restoration so the Panhead police may dissaprove but whatever. Way beyond my $$ means to get every correct part. Seems insane to me. I want a period correct chop with all HD parts. This bike will be ridden not hidden.

Went to the swap meet at Stafford Springs CT last month. Only one guy had old stuff.

Tranny? 3K for a 1940's tranny??
2K for a springer?

Not surprised because they arent making these things anymore but wow. Those are the 2 major things I need and it's gonna be tough to cough up that much $$. I wanted to have this done for a Classic Bike show here in May but that may be waaaaaay too optimistic.

I may need to compromise. A friend has a complete 50's era front with a 21" wheel that I can have for short $$   I wanted a springer because thats what came on a 48 but I guess I can run the later model setup and keep up the search for a springer.

I have my feelers out for a tranny now.....we'll see what pops up.

The rest will just fall into place once I have a roller. Tank, rear fender, headlight, seat, footboards, then I need a carb and a generator, and either a tin primary or open belt haven't decided. I will refinish parts where needed and run those that are in good shape. This is not going to be a shiny pretty bike, but clean and mechanically sound.

I do enjoy searching for parts using the web and just seeing whats out there, but I feel most of the good stuff is tucked away by people who love the old bikes and don't care to part with them. Ya gotta know the right people and fortunately I know a couple of them. They know I'm putting this together and will run the hell out of it so I can see some things becoming "available" because I am going to use them. Passing the torch so to speak.

And when I can't kick the bike over without blowing out my knee or maybe losing some balance in my old age then I too will keep my eyes open for a younger guy that loves the old bikes and the road and will pass it on....

My 2 cents

BBQBIKER sends

Deye76

"Tranny? 3K for a 1940's tranny??
2K for a springer?"

Folks watch American Pickers and think everyone has TV money backing them.  :down:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Snuff™

Quote from: BBQBIKER on November 20, 2015, 04:49:27 AM
...And when I can't kick the bike over without blowing out my knee or maybe losing some balance in my old age then I too will keep my eyes open for a younger guy that loves the old bikes and the road and will pass it on....

My 2 cents

Your search is over...Your young guy that loves the old bikes and the road is right here! :wink:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

roadkingdresser

I was watching a car auction yest. 1959 pan that was givin to jerry lee Lewis was by Harley Davidson. Was up on the auction block, had 1227 mi. on it went for $350,000 . It was nice, but damn that a lot of green.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

That is ridiculous money. Maybe for Elvis' bike, but Jerry Lee Lewis?
No, not even for Elvis' bike.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tomcat64

OK.. I agree.. Old bikes need to be on the road.. I ride mine.. But I have not ridden my 64 as my hip was simply too bad to start it.. If I decide to sell it, what's a FAIR price.. 64 duo-glide 90% original.. I think.  Was repainted.. Shows 19,500 miles.. BTW.. I just had the hip replaced.. So maybe I will be able to start it next year!

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

JamLazyAss

I was watching a 8 rib cam cover on ebay.
It got bid up to 480 dollars plus shipping.

I'm like are you friggin shitting me?
I can see 100 - 150 at todays market I guess, but 480?  :emoGroan:

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...