April 27, 2024, 03:05:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1968 XLCH Carb.

Started by cajun1957a, February 15, 2009, 12:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

The 1968 900 XLCH i aquired has a Tillostin Carb on it.  Can any tell me how good these carbs are?.  Should I put a kit into it or go with something else?  I have redone the motor, with new 9:1 pistons and bored .60 over.  The intake valves are oversized and all are new and hardened as well as the guides. 

The bike has a manual mag on it.  The only name i can find on it is the cover.  It says Drag Specialites of Minneapolis.  I dont know if that is the brand of the mag or just an aftermarket cover.  Can someone help here with this as well?  Kicker only. 

thanks

randy

Pynzo

February 15, 2009, 03:11:12 PM #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:57:52 AM by Pynzo
The stock mag was made by Fairbanks Morse and their should be a plate on the side facing the cylinders. Feel around and you should find it. The only other makers, and these are all F-M mags, is Morris Magnetos and Joe Hunt. All use the same points and condenser, and replacement parts come cheaper, (coils and bearings), if you look on Tractor part sites, rather than Bike part suppliers. These F-M mags were originally tractor mags, and HD adapted one to the WR in '48. A good cap for this mag will be made of Bakelite, and is significantly more expensive than the D.S. cap you have on it.
I've never had a Tillotson, am building an old sporty with Magneto and have adapted an S&S super E to fit on my bike. The only other carbs you can go with are the Bendix and maybe a Del'Orto or Mikuni. If you want to stick with the old internal throttle, a Linkert DC, which was used on XLs from '57 to '66 were decent carbs.

nibroc

you can also go with an old su carb--i run one off a 1964 triumph tr4-- su's don't have an accelerator pump-- neither does the tilloson--later sporties run the bendix w/pump--i found nothing wrong with the tillotson that came with my 1968 xlch--the body just wore out and i had to make a change--some day i'll put an s&s super e on it

Lawless

Another way to go would be a late model CV carb. You will need an adaptor to mount up to your intake.(can be found at J and P cycles) I put one on my 82 sporty and love it, runs better than ever.    my .02

saltcaveminer

the Tilly is a decent carb when properly setup.it does have an accelerator pump but the piston cup is made out of leather and can wear out.the tools required to test the Tilly can be homemade.i have a few i am rebuilding right now.in fact i am making some accelerator pumps.one advantage of the Tilly is no float so it will work at odd angles.also it works best with a vented gas cap and a tank with a vent connection(prevents vapor lock).i run a 38mm mikuni on my 70 xlch stroker and will try out the Tilly on it.on a new engine i would think the Tilly will work fine.(once you develop good ring seal) Salty

Pynzo

I'd do my best to keep your Tillotson working, it's great having an accelerator pump. Nothing out there with the exception of the Linkert DC ( no accelerator pump) will accept your internal throttle cable, and all new carbs would have to be tuned / jetted to your bike which can be a real pain.

bigpete1

a s&s l or b will also accept your internal throttle .i have a couple tillisons around in my garage if you need parts of one they are complete ,thanks pete