April 28, 2024, 11:01:56 AM

News:

4 speed starter ring ( gear ) bolt on

Started by Kramsee, February 15, 2009, 07:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kramsee

First of all, thanks to those that replied to my starting problem....yes,..it was a broken primary belt.  :cry:

Now, of course, that I have the primary cover off, I find more problems. My 1.5 inch belt is now about a 1 inch belt. I had to dig through the fuzz to find my clutch hub and miscellaneous parts. Upon removing my clutch hub nut, I discovered that instead of the usual couple hits it needs to loosen it, it spun freely even though the washer was retained around it. I'm assuming that I did something wrong with my last assembly and I'm going to blame that on rushing in an unheated garage last winter as my testicles froze to my legs. Along with that, the chattering noise when I started my bike all year seems to have eaten away my starter ring. I'm not sure how the bike ran as well as it did all year.

Any tips or ideas on what I did wrong, other than working on the bike myself, would be greatly appreciated but my big question is?????
I have a 66 tooth bolt on starter ring but everything I find on the net seems to be for later bikes, I can only find weld on rings. Any cheap resources out there for a bolt on ring?

Thanks in advance!

stroker800

Hey lets face it ,,we all make mistakes and besides its not like you can take it to the dealership......1st off I would say your belt is outta alignment, if you have fuzzy material that is belt . That also explains how it got narrower..I,ve done a few over the years,,,check your pulleys with a straight edge,,,you may have to shim the inner primary to get it too line up..DO NOT trust the inner primary to be square!!! I have also had to drill out a motor mount hole once to get motor squared to tranny..Belts are not forgiving as a chain... also keep an eye on the key for the shaft when installing,,this can also give you a false sense of torque on the nut..on the ring gear I only find the weld on or press style,,,,hope this helps..
Dave