May 01, 2024, 05:29:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

fuse location

Started by frebrez, February 15, 2009, 08:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frebrez

Does anyone know where the fuses are located on a 89 flhtc?  I have a battery drain of 5ma and am trying to isolate, All I can find is the 30a breaker?

Also, is there a normal drain for this bike, if so what might it be?

My batt. cheks ok, but will go down after it sets for 3 days after a full charge.
I can disconnect batt, and it will stay charged.

The repair manual seys there should not be any drain, however I have been told
it's normal to have some drain.

Old Crow

5mA drain is about what you can expect from the radio or clock.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

rdkng

I dont know about 1989, but I think all of the breakers on my 1995 'king
are under the left side cover.
rdkng 
Happy Motoring, Road King George

spanners

Quote from: Old Crow on February 16, 2009, 02:24:33 AM
5mA drain is about what you can expect from the radio or clock.

Disconnect each but 1 at a time and recheck the drain culprit.

How old is the battery? Some just don't handle drain to well as tey get old. I changed to dry type having simlar issue and never looked back.

JohnS_Rosamond

All the circuit breakers for the bike are under the fairing at the front of the bike.  The only circuit breaker not at the front is the 30amp main breaker that is on the right side of the bike, next to the oil tank.  I do not know if the '89 FLHT had a clock on it, but many did come with radios (and the late 80's wiring in my old FLT was crap).  I had so many electrical problems with the radio that I took it out (I also had added a bunch of new ground wires which seemed to help a bit, but there was no "fix" for my radio woes).  Newer bikes are wired much better.

still_havinfun

February 22, 2009, 06:41:44 AM #5 Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:46:40 AM by still_havinfun
on my 89 flhtcu, back when i had the original radio and cb pod on the tank, the draw was supposed to be 15ma. it has the fuse pannel on the left side of the bike below the seat where the air valve for the rear shocks cover is, the fuses are on the board under that cover. if i remember there are 3 fuses , 3,5,25 amp. the pod handled the memory for the cb and stereo amplification for the rear speakers and a bunch of other options.
you said yours ahd 5 ma draw and this is what mine drew with the pod disconnected and the radio memory drawing power from the battery.