April 27, 2024, 04:19:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Maintenance free batteries for 1973 FLH

Started by swanboro, February 15, 2009, 09:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swanboro

I've looked for a long time for this and only recently came across a product by Scorpion, YIX28L, a replacement for the usual YHD-12. Its admittedly made in China and distributed by batterystuff.com out of Grants Pass, Oregon.
Before I invest any $$, anybody got any experience with it or any other maintenance free example ?
Thanks,
Richard.

springer-

Stock Harley AGM battery from the dealer. 

panz4ever

If you are using the stock humungous battery for your 73FLH (used from 65-84) you cannot get anything other than a lead-acid direct replacement from your MoCo dealership. There are two other sources now available. One I recently saw on an ebay listing that uses the moniker of Steeles Cycles. I googled the name and it is a real place. The battery has a strange-sounding name to it; the add does not say where it is made. The other source is Jireh Cycles (877) 681-0448. Their part number is #1-141. It is the Ultima battery w/ over 200 CCA. From the looks of the add, it appears that it will in fact be a direct replacement right down to the terminal ends, which means no mods to the battery box, covers and related parts. Guess you could whine and say why not more w/ such a big battery when smaller ones get a lot more, but hell this is the first I have seen, and I have been looking a long, long time for a direct replacement to fit my 65 and 76. Only reason I have not ordered one yet is that last summer I had to replace the  one in my 76 so it is barely a year old, and I would like to get a bit more riding out of it for the money the lead-acid battery costs.

76shuvlinoff

After I decobbled the wiring in my 76 Flh , and went to a 32 amp charging system, that big old lead acid battery lasted me 6 years spinning a 93"er for 5 of those. I don't own a battery tender yet.   I got the battery right at NAPA.  That's maintenance free enough for me.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

ST40

I've never had a big problem with the lead acid batteries for my 73 FLH.   The last two were Exide HD12's.  (not maintenance free)     I don't think I have ever replaced one sooner than 5 years, and the last one wasn't in bad shape.   I maybe could have used it for another year or two.  They need a little attention and some common sense to keep them leak free and cleaned.      Marty
Marty

HarleyCharley

I was never able to keep a lead acid battery leak free. I repainted and replaced chrome for years until I bought a maintenance free battery from the harley shop. That was in 2000 and the thing is in my '81 fxs. It has always started well and "never" leaked!    :wink:

charley

Little Al

Been using genuine HD batteries in my '83 FXR for a very long time without problems. the last one I bought for it was 5 years ago, still going strong (this bike is my daily rider). it is a maintenance free, although I didn't specifically ask for one, fits perfectly, and was about $85 I believe. I never ever have used a tender or anything on a battery. If it's a bike I don't ride in the winter (I live in New York) I take the battery out and it sits on my kitchen table until I'm ready to ride again, then I charge it with a regular battery charger (set at 2 amps) overnight and I'm good to go for another season. On the 2 bikes I ride throughout the winter I never have had a charger on at all.

Just my experience.
Little Al

springer-

Quote from: Little Al on February 17, 2009, 04:39:39 PM
Been using genuine HD batteries in my '83 FXR for a very long time without problems. the last one I bought for it was 5 years ago, still going strong (this bike is my daily rider). it is a maintenance free, although I didn't specifically ask for one, fits perfectly, and was about $85 I believe. I never ever have used a tender or anything on a battery. If it's a bike I don't ride in the winter (I live in New York) I take the battery out and it sits on my kitchen table until I'm ready to ride again, then I charge it with a regular battery charger (set at 2 amps) overnight and I'm good to go for another season. On the 2 bikes I ride throughout the winter I never have had a charger on at all.

Just my experience.

Sounds like a stock HD AGM battery.

83 FXR you say?  A personal favorite of mine.  I have a 83 FXRT ... Great bike !

Little Al

Yep,

I've owned over 100 bikes of various makes, models, styles. This '83 FXRT (mine is a FXRT also) is my all time favorite. I will take this bike in my coffin with me.

And it seems that's the general concensus, if you ever ride a shovel FXR you'll love it forever.
Little Al

randallwhitman

Quote from: springer- on February 17, 2009, 05:48:19 PM

Just my experience.

83 FXR you say?  A personal favorite of mine.  I have a 83 FXRT ... Great bike !

You're missing a major point......the FXR doesn't take the big battery that goes in a four speed FL.  The HD stealerships only sell the acid types for the old FL's.   :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

panz4ever

Quote from: randallwhitman on February 19, 2009, 06:17:23 PM
Quote from: springer- on February 17, 2009, 05:48:19 PM

Just my experience.

You're missing a major point......the FXR doesn't take the big battery that goes in a four speed FL.  The HD stealerships only sell the acid types for the old FL's.   :wink:

Which to me is exactly the reason for getting a sealed battery...almost guarantee of no leaks...which is also the reason I will eventually buy one...almost guarantee of no leaks. i don't question the logevity of lead-acid but i sure as hell worry about acid screwing up original paints and parts.

easyricer

I've been rerouting the wires and installing the early FLT type battery in the early FLs. It the CYTX24HL-BS it's a 300cca battery, AGM and they last longer. The terminals are backwards from the HD-12 but it is the best replacement I can find anywhere. NO complaints from any of my customers. You will have to put a spacer in behind the battery so that it doesn't slide into the frame. I use a piece of Styrofoam. Fits under the cover as good as the stock one.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

jerite

Hey ya'all-
This brings up a question of my own about batts. I bought this 83' FLH back in Nov, I posted picks most you have seen on "It's done...c'mon springtime". Now this FLH has a softail type oil bag(which i like) that the batt drops down inside. Was this a stock option for 83-84 FLH's? I have not had time to research it. I was suprised not to see the big battery box on the side.  It does indeed have the spin on filter down behind the trans under the swingarm. This is my first late shovel so to my understanding it only applies for 83-84 flh's..anyone familiar with this? I too am looking for a maint free batt...but dont deal much with H-D shops unless absolutely necessary. And as I am starting to look for a batt, I am only finding big batts for the FLH's.
Thanx in advance...
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

96flhpi

Quote from: jerite on February 20, 2009, 07:54:41 AM
Hey ya'all-
This brings up a question of my own about batts. I bought this 83' FLH back in Nov, I posted picks most you have seen on "It's done...c'mon springtime". Now this FLH has a softail type oil bag(which i like) that the batt drops down inside. Was this a stock option for 83-84 FLH's? I have not had time to research it. I was suprised not to see the big battery box on the side.  It does indeed have the spin on filter down behind the trans under the swingarm. This is my first late shovel so to my understanding it only applies for 83-84 flh's..anyone familiar with this? I too am looking for a maint free batt...but dont deal much with H-D shops unless absolutely necessary. And as I am starting to look for a batt, I am only finding big batts for the FLH's.
Thanx in advance...
Jer

Oil filter is right for '83 on, maybe even late '82 on, from what I've read (my '82 has filter still in tank under seat).  Wrap around oil tank not OEM but seems to be a popular mod, gives more of a Duo-Glide look.  I think stock FXE batt. fits in there but someone with more knowledge will have to back me up.  Dig that scoot, BTW.

springer-

February 20, 2009, 07:03:34 PM #14 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:36:26 PM by springer-
Quote from: jerite on February 20, 2009, 07:54:41 AM
Hey ya'all-
Thanx in advance...
Jer

I'm guessing you don't have an FLH but you have an FLT or FLHT with a rubber mount engine and transmission.  With the Rubber mount FL series the transmission is a 5 speed and the oil filter mounted under the transmission just in front of the swingarm.  I don't recall the oil tank specifically but it may also house the battery as described.  The FLH's of the same years still have the large battery on the side and no wrap around oil tank.  The rubber mount FLT's with shovel engines ran from 1980 to 1983.  The FLH shovel ran up until 1984 with exception of the FLHP police bikes that were also produced until 1985, the last year of the shovel technically.

jerite

Hey Springer-
No it is definetly a FLH, 4 speed rigid mount. Maybe someone along the way changed the oil bag, looks cool. Will just measure and go batt hunting.
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

Fab Kevin

A late model FLHT battery is the same length and height as a stock shovel FL battery, but it is much thinner.  I've converted a few, and all that is necessary is to make a spacer to fit behind the new battery so it doesn't move in the tray.  The stock covers cover it all up too.  Oh yeah - the other drawback is I think the battery cables may need to be extended.  A little more of a pain, but the CCA is way more on the newer batteries, and you only need to do any alterations one time.  From there on out, every battery change is painless.  I hope that helps.