May 02, 2024, 04:05:53 AM

News:

S&S 600 cam

Started by gryphon, February 16, 2009, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Has anyone here run the S&S 600 cam. I'd like to get a little feedback on it. I'm in the process of building a 107ci motor and I'm using my present 97ci motor to test out different cams etc while I'm building the 107. The motors are close enough that what I learn on the 97" motor should carry over pretty well. I've usually stayed with milder cams with earlier intake closing times but was thinking that "why not try something totaly different just toget a feel for it". Looking at the factory specs on the S&S 113ci which comes stock with the 600 cam the torque and HP curves go into an almost vertical climb (mild exaggeration) at around 2800rpm and stay there until about 3500 where they start to taper off and become a little more horizontal. My 107ci should be pretty close in specs to the 113 with the exception of a 1/4" difference in the stroke. My typical cruising RPM's are between 2700 and 2900 which would indicate that I would be right at the beginning of that torque curve when excellerating. These cams can be had pretty cheap and swapping out cams is only a mornings work. Any feedback here. Seems like it might be a fun experiment.

jsachs1

When we're not looking to win dyno-shootouts on 3 5/8" - 4 1/8" bore S&S motors,the S&S 600 cam works well.NO PMS.Optimize compression,and you'll be good to go. :up:
John

wfolarry

I agree with John. Good cam. In a 113 it pulls hard. In your 107 it should work equally as well.

hotbo

we run the 600 in our 113 fxr bike,love it  :up: i have ridden only 1 107 with it and it pulled close to the same alittle softer down low but i think with the compression set up corrected in the 107 it will fell damn near the same,good luck travis  :teeth:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

gryphon

Yeah,
   The standard compression on the 107ci is usually a full point below the 113ci. However on mine it should be at or slightly above what the 113ci produces. Having the 97 incher to experiment with is a real plus.

hotbo

well then there ya go  :up: youll love the cam  imo  :soda:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Hillside Motorcycle

We too, have had very good luck with that cam.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"