If I swap out my ignition switch can I keep the same key?

Started by 05FLHTC, May 13, 2013, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05FLHTC

Not sure if my ignition switch is the issue yet but if it needs replacing is there anyway for me to keep the key the same so I don't end up with different keys for the ignition and fork lock?

1995 FXD
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

rking1550

Yes, If its the original key now. The dealer should be able to order a ignition "keyed" to the bike with the vin number.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

sprite4882

Yes, your key number is under the black plastic covering. Dealer can order new switch keyed to that number.

misfitJason

What issues are you having. Ignition switches are pretty hard to kill I would guess it might be another issue first but there is always that one.  I one had a problem with my rigid where my battery kept going dead. I chased everything and couldn't figure it out. Everything looked great test wise. Then one day I just got done washing it and heard the slightest humm. I looked all around the bike until I located the source of the noise. It was by the gas tank and top motor mount where my ignition switch was. It was one of those drag specialties water proof ones. The kind that has the rubber boot over the wiring and housing and it was mounted on the frame top motor mount with the wiring going up under my king tank. Well water was traveling down that loom and into the switch where it didn't have any other place to go because it was water proof causing a false on. Switched to an open air switch after that and no problem any more. Kicker is the replacement switch was 5 bucks and the water proof shitty one was 42
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

shovelbill

Quote from: 05FLHTC on May 13, 2013, 07:24:43 PM
Not sure if my ignition switch is the issue yet but if it needs replacing is there anyway for me to keep the key the same so I don't end up with different keys for the ignition and fork lock?

1995 FXD

the part number you want is 71428-90B........the special order will ask for the key code. you'll get 2 keys with it as well. list price is $103.53

hope this helps
build it, bust it.....figure out why

05FLHTC

Thanks everyone!

I'm just gathering info, my brother is riding my FXD currently & informed me that the ignition switch was loose so he tightened it.  After the same day the bike cut off on him going down the road for a split second & then came right back on.  Coincidence maybe... :idunno:

WOW $103.53 I will be sure that gets purchased at 20% off if it comes down to the switch, we'll see & thanks for the part #  :up:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA